I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Hey Tim, I'm an asphalt inspector for the NC DOT. Thomas called the first ones right on. They are carbide tips from a milling machine. They are pretty tough and chew through asphalt, concrete and everything but manhole covers. Well they do but they don't fair too well. I have a bunch of used ones as they get replaced fairly often. I would also like to use them as hardy tools or other tools but I don't know what I want to do with them. Yet! When I do I'll start asking for help/ideas.
I may look at mine this weekend and see what I can figure out. Had them for a while and forgot about them till your post. Maybe some lightbulb will go off in my head when I dig them back out from under the bench. Hope so, the brain pan has been a little dim lately.

The one other item is a tooth cover or tooth for a backhoe or excavator.

I also have a bunch of the funny looking bolts with the wide heads and I was told that they are probably used to hold the tracks on a tracked vehicle such as a track backhoe or excavator.

Good find with lots of posibilities. If you figure out something to do with the milling teeth or the track bolts please let me know. I rarely have an origonal thought and rely on others for inspiration.

Mark<><

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was given a 4 ton punch press today. I was expecting to be getting a different one, but upon further inspection the cast iron frame was cracked and I politely declined it so the gent gave me this one instead! He has many die sets for it that he has to dig out but will be giving me them when he finds em. Needs a new cord, switch, pulley for the motor, belt, and a thorough clean and lube. I don't yet know what I will be using it for, but worse case scenario is that I sell it and use that $ to buy more blacksmithing tools! All the grease on it has hardened up like rock.

pNzF3.jpg

50kp7.jpg

dhm1p.jpg

F6PD0.jpg

zynqH.jpg

Depending on where the frame is cracked, it may not matter, or can be repaired.

Depending on what the dies sets were made to do, they may not be worth anything other than reusing the die shoes for something else. I used Danly components when I was making die sets.

4 ton isn't that big, but you could still do a lot of work with it.

Todays Score- I was looking around at a used equipment place that just started into the scrap market. Picked up this stuff for $20.00. I'm going to make a forming stake from one of the cones, and a large cone mandrel from the other. There are also a few ball valve inserts and a few large steel balls from something. Just wanted to share-
JW

post-7628-0-19725300-1299968431_thumb.jp

post-7628-0-65894300-1299968458_thumb.jp

Those frustums are *beautiful* check for hardness before forging though. If they are hardened for some sort of a bearing, you may want to grind them to fit a hardy hole so as to not mess up the heat treat. If they have any more of them they would be great trading material for smithing meetings and conferences.

The balls with the holes through them look like components from a ball valve

Tim, I found some of those ripper teeth and made forming stakes out of them for my copper and silver work. I had to grind them since I no longer have a working forge but still they made nice stakes.
JW, Those tapered cones would make nice bracelet mandrels too. Bracelet mandrels are so expensive since they have the word jewelry associated with them but you got a deal there. B)

I'm sure this will sound dumb, but what are "Frustrums" used for? The place I bought them from had a whole pallet sized box of them. I'll check back this weekend if I get the chance to go down there. they had bigger ones too, but the small end was about 2.5" and went to about 5" or so at the big end. I think they were going to be scrapped out, so hopefully I can get there in time! The spheres with the holes in them are the insides of ball valves. I got one from a 4" ball valve also, but it didn't made the pictures. I must have been cut out of the valve body, because it had a big saw mark right through it. I'm going to weld it up, and put the welded side towards the post, so the smooth side will be my work surface.
JW

I've been lurking for a while but couldn't resist posting about this. A local smith decided he was getting out of the game. The following just followed me home:

• 1 125 lb anvil, unknown make a few minor dings around the edges otherwise appears to my untrained eye to be in great shape
  • 13 sets of tongs of various shapes and sizes, all rusty but serviceable
  • 1 custom built coal forge (6 square feet of bed surface) with hood and hand crank blower. Blower may need new bushings.
  • 4" post vice, rusty as hell but serviceable after lubing it up good
  • 3 hammers
  • 2 books on blacksmithing
  • 150 lb of coal + two galvanized trash cans for storage
  • a small assortment of punches
  • a couple random hardy tools
  • various scrap bits, rusty files, bar stock, etc.

I just graduated from the awful tongs I made and beating hot metal on a 60lb bench vise. Total cost: < $600.

All purchased from stewartthesmith for a great deal,

- blower, a drift, some hammers, two tongs, a metal folding ruler (love it), a handled punch, and some other little things. Some of the things may be wrapped in newspaper, was in a hurry when taking pics. A lot of things for the small price.

Man that blower runs smooth!

All of this under $200.00 - thanks buddy!

post-12739-0-83342100-1300948948_thumb.j

post-12739-0-91884800-1300949026_thumb.j

post-12739-0-29817400-1300949079_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

got a great buy on tools today from a friend with a bad back, who's giving up, he said come get what you want, while I could not afford all of it, this is what I could get, and a flypress from a craigslist add, when it rains..it pours!!

post-4158-0-58658700-1301864917_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-30071200-1301864949_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-67436800-1301864996_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-05268600-1301865028_thumb.jp

Hello Boys and Girls!

This past weekend I was out with my father and my daughter Andie ( I have mentioned her before and she is an IFI member) and we stopped into a local flea market. I go to this one often as there is a tool guy there who has from time to time hammers and the such that I like. When I walk around I am more often then not looking at the floor under the table or in the hidden areas, people don't like to life heavy objects onto tables, and what I look for is heavy. Well today my eyes caught what looked like a drill press under a table of various antique items. Darn if it wasn't. Under an electric motor was a rusty single stage drill press. I bent down looking at it, Andie joined me to look it over, I told her not to act interested. The crank worked, everything spun with a very slight bit of resistance. It was missing the slide pipe, bracket, and table. If you look at the pics you will see everything is there and not broken or damaged. My shop one had the feed control arm repaired in it's life.

OK, at a flea market, on the floor, under a table with lots of other antiques, what will this guy be wanting? When I bought mine I was given a great deal, $80. So I asked the man what he wanted for the weird hand crank drill. $20. Twenty bucks? Yeppers. Andie and I went in halvers. Made sure the deal was done fast and got it in the trunk ASAP. He did not know what he really had there. So now Andie and I have a Forge & Blower Co of Kitchener 612 Post Drill Press.

Andie went back to the same flea market sunday. Did she something I missed?

post-9523-0-45746600-1301892707_thumb.jp post-9523-0-08604800-1301892710_thumb.jp

DiverMike, Looks like a nice haul you got from the fellow with the "bad back". Now take care of yours so someone else doesn't get a "good deal", OK?

Wolf RX, Nice anvil and nice set of shears. My wife is a pharmacist also and supported my habit until my back injury.

Dennis, Not bad for $20! Now to find the rest of the tooling to go with it.