I Forge Iron

It followed me home

A couple novelty bits for my kit. The saw is kinda fun to listen to and watch. The compressor is the most quiet I've ever heard. Doesn't pump much so who cares if it runs all time... Sounds like a well used and oiled sewing machine....

post-6253-089488800 1281754257_thumb.jpg

post-6253-049825500 1281754301_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The compressor is the most quiet I've ever heard. Doesn't pump much so who cares if it runs all time... Sounds like a well used and oiled sewing machine....

That is one thing I love about belt driven compressors. I like the cast stand that is on. Gives me some ideas.

Phil

My power hack saw looks similar to that, a little different, same general idea, stroke, stroke. :blink:

I cut a little 1/2" rod today.... Couldn't believe how fast it went through it. Might have been the 8 TPI blade had something to do with it B) Its a little clumsy and will take some getting used to but I think its a fine saw with lots of life.

Phil- Just be sure your compressor actually pumps. I think this worn out fridge rig pumps a wapping 2 CFM :o

FE, my compressor is good, the tank is repaired however, and don't look pretty on the inside either. The cast stand reinforces the point that I don't *NEED* a tank attached. I can run a remote tank rather easily

$5 for the compressor, $5 for the coupler that was damaged, a bolt, nut, and washer with epoxy in the drilled out pin hole...replacement tanks are a fortune. Air balls are more reasonable in price. I don't need the extra CFM very often, so its "good enough" for now.

I was just given a 1HP motor for my lathe from an old timer at work. I had told him about my lathe, and he said that he'd have something to help me along with it the following week.

I was also talking with a gentleman at work about how I need to invest in a small shop crane. He tells me where he works, there is an old chain hoist crane that has been sitting and rusting for the past 50 years. he says he'll bring it by in a few days. Well, he comes back no less than one hour later, and gives me the thing. it is rusty, but just surface rust. it's easily from the 40's-an old Wright 1/2 ton chain hoist. we took it apart, it still was oiled and lubed up, and runs cleanly. just an awesome design, and does the job perfectly and simply.

Yet again from my work-I was talking to a contractor, and he mentioned that while he was doing a demolition job nearby, he said he found a very large coffee tin filled with hand forged nails, he said he'd stop by in a few and give them to me.

What can I say, I love my work.

Aaron

oh for sure! my thank you list of things to make is almost as long as my commission list. :P a little thank you goes a long way though.

yes, I'm planning on buying or making an I beam trolley for it, and welding onto the existing beams to make a Beam that goes right over my forge...anvil making anyone?

To paraphrase Steely Dan "The things they think are useless I can`t understand".

Dropped by the metal pile down at the transfer station(dump) and it appears that the local school has decided to toss what`s left of the shop class remnants.I put in the truck;3 complete WWing vises,a 5 ton beam trolley,The controller for an electric furnace(they destroyed the furnace when they kicked it off the truck.Luckily the controlled was on the top side when it landed)a bunch of firebrick from the furnace,a slew of aluminum ingots and last but not least,most of a Di-acro #3 bender on a factory stand.
I`ll need to get the roller bearings for the bender and the pins and a few other parts but hey,the price was right!
Anybody got a good line on used parts and a parts list for one of these?
Oh yeah,I also got a full keg of iron decking spikes and a 110 volt blower too,size is just right for my son`s forge.
Life is good here in Maine.

PS-Almost forgot the 2 4foot sections of 1 1/2" bronze prop shaft and a 6foot section of bronze rub rail.They were tucked in the corner of the truck bed and I just now remembered them.

Nolano- I'm glad you found Conrad, He's a great guy, really like him.. Tell him Mike in Klamath Falls has a pile of freon cans for his tripod stew pots, if you would.

Aw, shucks, Mike, didn't know you cared...

I actually sold out of stewpots this year, so the cans would be welcome. Margaret knows a local car AC guy who gives her one now and then, but a "pile" would be a comforting addition to the scrap pile. Maybe I can make it over to there this fall, before the passes get snowed in.

And of course, what any Oregon smith thinks of when they hear "Klamath Falls"--any chance you could turn me on to a scrapyard or farm source for those potato harvester rods????

As for chance finds of smithing tools, I'm tearing down (gradually, for the firewood) an old carpentry shop behind my neighbor's house. Anything I can salvage is mine, per the agreement. Just last week, under one of the workbenches, I found a pile of rusty scrap--with 3/4 inch shanks! Plus a few with handle holes--in all, five pairs of top and bottom swages. Also a hardy, a small flatter, and a pin maul head.

Conrad Hodson

Conrad Hodson

You never know what you will find when you visit a junk yard.
What used to be a pot belly stove with grate could easily be a forge.
They cut the rr track into 4 foot lengths, ready for planting in the ground and being used as an anvil.
This hunk of steel was about 3-1/2 feet wide, and I would not date guess at the overall weight. Great anvil there.

You can tell the economy is down when they stack up cars like cord wood.
The tooth from a earth mover of some sort. The plate the tooth attaches to is 4 inches thick or so.
The trailer is full of aluminum, but I have no idea how the boat got there.
The plate is about 2 inches thick and would make a great table top, that could be pounded on.
The old reel mower is interesting but the spool of welding wire has a lot of possibilities.

What followed YOU home recently ?

Picked up several hundred (700# or so) pounds of mostly copper from work. Some of the bar ends are up to 7/8" diameter. With this batch I got a crate full of full 12' length bars that the certifications had been lost on. Just a little stainless, brass, bronze, and a bit of aluminum bar ends to round it all out.

If anyone is looking for copper, etc to work with let me know. I got a lot of different sizes.

You never know what you will find when you visit a junk yard.
What used to be a pot belly stove with grate could easily be a forge.
They cut the rr track into 4 foot lengths, ready for planting in the ground and being used as an anvil.
This hunk of steel was about 3-1/2 feet wide, and I would not date guess at the overall weight. Great anvil there.

Anyone know of a good actual "Junk" yard like this in the central KY area? all I can seem to find is vehicle dumps! I know there are a few nice place in Ohio but its a bit far for pickin

Anyone know of a good actual "Junk" yard like this in the central KY area? all I can seem to find is vehicle dumps! I know there are a few nice place in Ohio but its a bit far for pickin

Up here in New England just about any larger city will have an industrial scrap yard.They usually tend to be where they can access the railroad sidings.
I live in a smaller town on the coast where there is boat building going on so there are a few local scrap metal guys in town who travel all over the county.If I need something in particular I usually ask Neil to keep an eye out for me.If he finds it he will usually deliver it too for no extra cost(I do what I can to help him in return).
I Neil doesn`t have it he would be my first line of information about where to go to get it.
I`d start by asking your local scrap man.

28 gallon "NOS" Campbell hausfeld compressor tank. $40. It is clean with some light surface rust inside. The top plate is smaller than the one on my holed craftsman, so I am going to cut the whole plate off the craftsman and bolt it to the campbell. Now all I need is a pressure switch and check valve.

The good tank is rated to 150 psi, the holed was set up for 100 psi. If the pump and motor were used with a 80-100 psi switch, would putting a 90-115 psi switch overwork the motor with that extra 15 psi? It is a 1 HP belt driven system and a 2 cylinder pump. I can get the 90-115 switch local, but have to order the 80-100 online. I may need a new safety valve too with the extra 15 psi..

Phil

A lot of city/county trash collection sites don't allow "scrounging" but if something like what Bob found appears I have no moral compunctions about attempting to suborn the staff. I'm quite willing to even replace the stuff with equal weights of scrap metal to boot so the gov has the same payment from the scrapper!

A couple novelty bits for my kit. The saw is kinda fun to listen to and watch. The compressor is the most quiet I've ever heard. Doesn't pump much so who cares if it runs all time... Sounds like a well used and oiled sewing machine....

That 's a compressor from a cooling system, something like a milk cooler, it's meant to run continually.

I wondered about whether to put this in welding or not, but thought that it was more appropriate in this thread.

Yesterday, BIGGUNDOCTOR emailed me with a link to a $20 broken welder a guy had for sale on CL. I was at work, but called the lister and he said he would hold it til I got off work - in eight hours! What he had was a Lincoln 225/125 amp 220 volt AC/DC tombstone style welder. He claims that the amp select switch is broken. He didn't feel qualfied to make the repair/exchange. I figured that for $20 - what the heck?? Nine hours later I was in his garage with my $20 bill. As you will see in the photos, it is almost completely disassembled ... missing power supply cord, no stinger and the work clamp is a Pony brand clamp, leads are in fair shape ... everything else seems to be there. The schematic is still inside the cover. Price on a new switch is about $65/75. Should make a good repair/rebuild unit for winter. Thanks BIGGUNDOCTOR !!! :D

post-10988-076354500 1283121812_thumb.jp

post-10988-040283300 1283121833_thumb.jp

post-10988-067092900 1283121847_thumb.jp

post-10988-064905600 1283121870_thumb.jp

post-10988-085987500 1283121890_thumb.jp

post-10988-081596400 1283121903_thumb.jp

Well I finally have made it back home after a run to CA to pick some equipment up. A friend in Vegas got these tools from his brother in law's father in law. Say that 3 times fast. Anyway we picked up a super clean Victor 616 chucker turret lathe with a lot of tooling, 30 ton hydraulic press, 150A Lincoln Weldenpower gasoline welder generator, welding rod, old Porter Cable 4" wide belt sander, Burr King 760 1.5" belt sander, BIG 5HP buffer (4' wide or so), small granite plate, hand held spot welder, vise on a metal tripod, engine hoist with leveler, milk crates full of precision tools/gage pins/etc., and some miscellaneous goodies. Cost? FREE!

About 5hrs each way, and $140 in fuel costs. My buddy is giving me the BIG buffer, and already have some ideas for attachments to it. Best part of the whole deal was that my buddy had taken my truck, and trailer into Vegas the day before to do some servicing for me. When I got to his house the entire interior had been cleaned, shined up, and it no longer smelled like a wet dog inside-woo hoo. I tend to live in my vehicles at times.