I Forge Iron

pea coal or nut coal

Picked up my coal today, 100#. I told the woman at the mine that most of the coal suppliers that I contacted had no smithing coal, and didn't know when they would get more. She said that she didn't know when they would get more either. Is there something going on with the supply of smithing coal? I am only going to do this as a hobby, how much more should I get to last me for a year?

It all depends on what kind of things you are going to be forging.  I might be able to make a dozen 3/8" tapered S-hooks with a couple of handfuls of coal (I have large hands...), but for making a large forge welded axe head I need a deep hot fire for hours.  I might use a 50 lb bag almost completely for one large axe head.

I would say that if you can afford it and have storage space to get as much as you can.  Coal is dropping out of use and becoming unprofitable for suppliers.  So, availability is dwindling.  If you find a good coal and can store it IMO it is worth buying 20 years worth.  As long as it is out of the weather and kept dry it will last forever (it is already millions of years old.).

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Im a youngin,,, 75 and still smithing.

Water or size makes no difference. We, in Colorado used to be able to get the fines below the tipple for free at the Carbondale mine, or a 6 pack to the loader driver. mix it with water to make a slurry, and it makes a great heat source. 

“It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." Peter Pan.

That's the secret of a HOT fire too. It's not in having the "right" coal, charcoal, gas burner, forge, etc. it's using what you have to it's best.

Of course a sprinkle of fairy dust helps. B)

Frosty The Lucky.