I Forge Iron

Hollands mini block

TWISTEDWILLOW

3B9AD506-9BC2-4EE7-B6F6-ED41B894A04F.thumb.jpeg.2f946424637755f41e42832439029eac.jpeg

Mail just ran, an I got in my new swage block from hollands! 

I wanted a little block that could set up on the forge so I don’t loose a lot of heat while working on light stuff, and not take up a lot of space,

its only 8.4 pounds, but still big enough I think it’s gonna work out great! 

This is the first new block I’ve ever owned, so I’ll have to learn to dress it, 

my ol beat up 75 pound block was already smoothed over when I got it, 

F1A982EC-3324-4A6B-869D-3B11C52D4482.jpeg

E6AC5402-8C3A-48EE-B9FA-A3D97120E593.jpeg

1D84E03B-9BC3-43EC-A307-FFAE840C1080.jpeg

165AA2DB-16D7-4CDE-933D-D03E39A8101C.jpeg

FC6EFFE4-81AA-4819-80BE-F112CB2C13CA.jpeg

A7A54EE7-D96A-40A5-958F-0DBC6A293C07.jpeg

9CD645C3-3AB6-45C0-940B-A636CBCB4374.jpeg

I think you may use the new one more than the old one.  I suspect that theire are more useful shapes on the new one.  Also, I like the 60 degree Vs on the new one to make a true equilateral triangle.  That, IMO, is a failing of many swage blocks, all the Vs are 90 degrees which is fine if you need a right angle but that is not always the case.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

2 hours ago, Goods said:

You’ll love having that sitting right by the forge

Ive had a few folks suggest I keep something on the forge and that it will help keep me from loosing heat so I’m finally getting around to it! Lol

George,

the beat up ol block is handy for makin Gary tools with the square holes an drifting through the big round holes but your right I don’t actually us it much,

the new block has some spoon shapes, I’ve never tried my hand a spoons but now I ain’t got no excuse lol

i bought it for the dish, im wanting to make some sleigh bells for Christmas an I wanted a dish to get them started into a ball shape before working them into a pipe, ring, or the bigger swage blocks round holes,

i gotta make a run into town tomorrow, im gonna swing into the hardware store to see if they got a flap wheel for die grinders, 

the only flap disc’s I got here at the shop are for a angle grinder and won’t fit down int the forms, 

I do got some dremal flap wheels but I don’t think they would last long trying to smooth out the new block,

I have one and really like it for when I need it. It gets occasional use. 

They do come rough but the price was right so I didn't mind taking a little time to smooth it how I wanted it. 

Die grinder, bur bits and rolock grinder discs worked well for me. Sand and polish to suit your needs. 

I've got about a 35# swage black that I bought off a guy on fleabay 25 years ago.  I smoothed the dish depression by using the edge of a 4" grinding stone on a mandrel chucked into an electric drill.

Billy, I hate to sound ignorant in public but what is a "gary tool?"

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Lol George that was a typo from my phones auto correct, apparently it thought hardy sounded like Gary! Bahaha:lol:

Randy,

I just had someone else tell me that stones would clog up fast, but maybe soapy water could possibly help 

Aric,

Thanks for the advice, what’s a rolock disc?

Sorry, no k. Roloc.

It is a type of abrasive disc that goes on an arbor. There are all kinds of grits and abrasives that fit it. We use them at work and I utilize the worn out or discarded ones  when i can. I only use what is truely not useful for the business. Others discard them before I would so those are better for me lol. 

They even sell them at harbor freight I believe. I buy new when I need to. It is a great system. 

I always thought that "french curve" was used for shovels or something of the like. If we're referring to the same part. Nice swage btw, it looks like it has all the useful components of a swage block.

Does it bounce around much due to the smaller size?

~Jobtiel

Thanks Jobtiel1,

I dunno if it bounces or not, I ain’t used it yet, 

im gonna break it in soon with some sleigh bell blanks I’ve ordered,

I’ll definitely report back an let ya know how it acts up on the forge gettin used!

shovels is an interesting idea for that curl, I didn’t think of that,

A french curve is a drawing / drafting tool that allows you to draw curves with changing radius. The swage on the far edge of your swage block describes a swage with a smoothly changing radius. Image below. The one on the bottom most resembles the one I had in the drawer of my drafting table.

Frosty The Lucky.

Curve Rulers & Flexible Curves for Drawing & Measuring Curved Shapes

The shape looks good for bending a handle that would be riveted to the spoon portion on a larger ladle or something. 

I'm sure it has other uses but on a dishing swage that might be my first thought.  Even tho that could easily be done over the edge of the anvil. 

That's also a good use. If your using the swage for multiples it would allow for easier consistency that way. and indeed seeing that there are spoon swages and a dishing form it would make sense that that curve is for a handle for those things.

~Jobtiel

• 3 weeks later...

Debi just received her mini swage block from Holland. It had some casting flaws in the bowl portion so she contacted them. She was expecting to have to ship it back and get a replacement. Now you talk about fantastic customer service, they are sending another one which will be inspected closely so there should be no flaws. They told her to keep the first one too. How about that totally unexpected.

• 2 weeks later...