I Forge Iron

Getting ready for Quad-State

ThomasPowers

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

when i was at Bob Crukshanks' family's garage sale last year they said they were going to do another this year. If they do it is about a 10 or 15 minute drive from Quad state and well worth going to. 

Definitely worthwhile; I got a small swage block, some top tools, and a half-full can of Kasenit last year. I'll bet that there will be more of the swage blocks; Honest Bob had just gotten a load from the foundry when he died.

I mentioned ordering one to Deb and she laughed saying there's no way she'll make room in the RV I can use a frying pan. Maybe if I melt her frying pan over a camp fire. I think I'll order one at Wally's and just bring it with next time we go "camping." They're just out of stock, I'll point at the one I want and put it on hold. 

Scott, I'm too busy to slow twaddle turnips. You haven't lived until you've tried turnips that have been twaddled by the NEW AND IMPROVED, 3 Axis, Counter Rotating, Turbo Entwaddlater. Your turnips are twaddled perfectly in moments without the nutrients being sphangled down the drain, the results are far more nutritious and tastier. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't expect we will have room or weight allowance just for the stuff the 4 of us in one pickup will want to bring home; not to mention I won't be flush with "extra" cash.

Seems odd but those 4 door "full sized" pickups have a bed no bigger than my little 4banger...I just hope I can sell all the hammer heads I hope to bring so I can buy a tool or too to bring home.

"Standard" pickup beds are 6'7" long or were when we bought ours. It cost a bunch to get an 8' bed and it was one of the only ones in Alaska at the time. I don't know if they're even offered anymore. What's worse our pickup has a worse turn radius than the dump trucks I drove for the state and it strains to carry half a ton. 

It rides like a car without a load though. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas,

y’all could always stop by the shop on your up and grab a trailer to haul more stuff! Lol

all us here close by in OK,AR,MO could chip in for fuel and you can just drop the trailer off on your way back! Then everyone can come pick up their stuff when they get a chance to, 

we could call it the blacksmith express! Lol

24 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Keep sweetening the pot TW, lol. Cooler weather will come. I hope...

Charles,

if ya need a post vise just shoot me a pm with what your price range is, I find them all the time around here, 

don’t fret to much about the heat! We only got two more month of summer and then it’ll drop from 106 an 90 percent humidity to 30 with nonstop wind and 90 percent humidity in a 24 hr span sometime in October! Fall? What’s that? Lol:lol:

Actually that's called "Blacksmith's Mail";  over a decade ago I loaded a large box of high bay lights into our van at Quad-State and took them to NM where another smith picked them up and took them to AZ for a third smith.  May take a bit longer but *cheap*!

The main problem is I am not in a situation to front money and I hate trying to evaluate equipment for other people as what I consider important may not be what they do. The truck owner has NO experience with trailers, his previous vehicle was a PT Cruiser.

Uh oh! He better learn quickly!

Cause I was gonna strap your giant fans to an old trailer for you to take home on your way back!

Good grief Thomas!

I’d think after all these years you’d probably be one of the most qualified people in the US to evaluate an ol mandrel, swage block or post vise, ;)

I got my GMC. It is a short bed but it rides like a truck with nothing and rides like a truck loaded. I filled the bed with coal once ~3/4- 1 ton and could barely feel a difference. Mind you it is just a 1500 series but a freind that knows his trucks told me that at the time, 2013, the GMC 1500 were built on 2500 chassis. I can not say if it is true or not but its a pretty darned good truck. Does not have the turning radius of the old Ford i had and i do miss the 8' bed i had on the Ford but i am very pleased and bieng newer it has a much better radio, it actually works.

All y'all do know that there used to be an inland sea in the center of the USA; I don't want to haul so much stuff west of the Mississippi that Isostasy causes it to reappear! (Of course at 4600+ feet I probably wouldn't have beach front property anyway; but the surf would be *nothing*.)

I'd also prefer if he did his trailer learning when I wasn't in hock for his mistakes.  I hope to see  them at the NMABA meeting this weekend so we will see what they say.

• 3 weeks later...

What I hope to take to unload; severely curtailed by a large 4 door pickup truck; whose cargo limit is exceeded by 4 people riding in it.

KIMG0210.thumb.JPG.95c14bfff660e963b9c12954de635881.JPG

Coarse wrought iron: wagon tyre, each slab is about 3# IIRC.  Screw jack for large postvise  screw/screwbox replacement.  Most of the stuff will be "choice; US$5 Friday, $4 Saturday and $3 Sunday till noon."     I will take holds for IFI folk, good till Saturday noon.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a weather update for the weekend.

Friday will be partially sunny, Sat. and Sun. will be overcast. Highs in the mid 70's with overnight lows in the mid 50's. No rain in the forecast till Monday, however keep in mind this is west central Ohio and weather can change overnight.