I Forge Iron

Lincon torpedo welder

I saw an old Lincon vertical DC welder for sale and was thinking it would be good for my situation, I understandthey have an AC motor to run a DC welding generator? I have an 11kw VFD phase converter, witch will not run a normal 3 phase welding transformer but would run an AC motor happily. My AC arc welder is about 70 years old and doesn't work as well as it could thrugh the long run of cable to the shop.

I use to have an old garden tractor that had a DC welder on it that was driven off the engine, I really liked that thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so confused.  I am not familiar with torpedo welders.  I will expose my ignorance and ask what is that thing on the right hand side of the picture?  It looks like a still or a old gas pump.  Did you hook up the connection?  Does it work?

I don't know what the thing on the right is, but a torpedo welder is basically an AC motor turning a generator that produces DC current. I hear tell that they produce a nice smooth arc, but I've never used one myself.