I Forge Iron

Barry Jordan's Working Miniatures

Talk about a hobby! Thanks for the link, there are some amazing WORKING miniatures on his site. I love the shot of him milling a part for another miniature on a miniature mill.

My gob is thoroughly smacked!

Frosty The Lucky.

There's a great quote on the Museum's home page from one Michael Dunlop: "The issue I struggle with most days in my shop is, 'When is it good enough?' Whether I’m assessing the quality of an individual part or a complete model my answer is this: It’s good enough when, based on my current ability, any further attempt to improve it will probably cause it to be damaged." 

Difference Engine  are better search terms but if you combine them with Babbage it zeros you right in. The thing really worked and in some ways was more powerful and flexible than electronics. Babbage's engines weren't binary.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry,  I was teasing you.  Bad thing to do.  I don't like when people tease me.  I was just saying why someone who, according to wikipedia "originated the concept of a digital programmable computer" wouldn't say "Why didn't I think of that?" In response to your question:

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

I wonder what Babbage would think of my lap top and 5G internet connection? 

Please forgive me, I'm feeling ornrey today and should do as we talked about.

You're good Scott, nothing to forgive, don't work yourself up over nothing. Maybe hit the garden again and relax. It's easy to imagine problems that don't exist, then they become self fulfilling prophesy. 

Truth is, we weren't supposed to think of things like the difference engine or quantum physics, black holes or stranger things like fried chicken and waffles!

Frosty The Lucky.

John; I like how you wove that in without looming over it!

For some *real* analog goodness; look at the manual "computers" used in WWII on battleships to calculate how to aim the big guns!  (They had to take the curvature of the earth into their calculations.)  Talk about precision machine work!    (Of course my Father used to tell me that real computer programmers used a soldering iron!)