I Forge Iron

Beastie

I wasn't thinking of robot sculptures I was thinking of the mechanics. Say a head that nods and turns while the jaws open and close or maybe flutter it's lashes. Not walk to the kitchen and fetch a fresh cup of coffee. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

tend to be a bit more haphazard with them!

Oh, I know. Same with some people in the body business. Some also tend to treat expensive equipment like cheap junk because it is the shops and they didn't buy it. Always a pain when the next guy needs it and it is all messed up. 

Frosty, I understand. Even a simple circuit to make something like that is out of my realm of knowledge.  It is something I would like to learn at some point. 

Even animatronics is beyond me, it's that "tronics" :ostuff that's over my head. I was thinking of the cam driven type as seen at Disneyland when I was a kid. I can't recall the term but it was purely mechanical and has been around centuries maybe longer.

There were guys like that on the drill crews, some worse than others. Worse when one was the crew lead. Around the shop I just bought my own tools and kept them locked up but on the drill. . .

Starting in Jr. high shop class 1 (of which ever trade) we took safety classes and watched "Primitive Pete," films. Old Pete used every tool in as dangerous a manner as folk commonly did and got max injuries each time. Being called Primitive Pete was enough to embarrass all but the worst idiots.  

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

I can't recall the term but it was purely mechanical and has been around centuries maybe longer.

The word you're after is "automaton" (plural "automata"). For example:

Yes automaton! See? I don't really need a good memory I have back up! 

I saw the Abraham Lincoln automaton at Disneyland in the 60s and it was so lifelike you'd swear it was an actor. 

Thanks John.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, you are right. And thanks John, I have seen that and others. They are absolutely brilliant. 

I tend to get boxed in and thinking about circuit boards controlling functions and wasn't thinking of the cams and automatons that a single power source can control. Old modern think taking over my brain at times. Ugh the servos and switches... yeah, it can be as simple (or complex) as a clock spring controlling cams and rods, gears and pulleys. 

I forget how many moving parts the boy has, thousands? Watching automata makes circuitry, computers, servos, etc. seem like cheating. I like watching the inside better than the outside. 

Something for the Bride of Frankenbucket.

Frosty The Lucky.

Automatons are pretty cool and open up a lot of sculpture posibilities.  A study of them are a rabbit hole indeed, they have been around for a long time.  I ran across one called "The Digesting Duck" (I even used it for my avatar for about an hour once :)).  Some of them are kind of creepy.....:ph34r:  

I enjoyed electronics and programming as a hobby years ago and taught myself, burning up a lot of componenents, chips and "things" along the way.  It was just getting more user friendly when I quit, I don't know where it's all at these days....  I had the intention of applying it to my sculptures one day but found if you spread yourself too thin nothing gets done.

That's pretty cool Scott. Thanks for sharing it.  Definately something to think about for future work.

I had planned on getting some work done last night but soon as the kids were asleep the power went out. Ugh.  

That's a pretty cool link Scott, thanks. It makes me wish I were a better sculptor and had better junk in my resource collection. Guess I should've put the shop farther from the house. 

I'm sure looking forward to what you come up with next.

Frosty The Lucky.

Too much time digging into strange stuff? I don't understand, is that some sort of mental torture or something? How can you spend too much time digging into strangeness, the very thought is unnatural, inhuman!

Frosty The Lucky.

I feel I have hijacked Arics thread with my usual nonsense.  Sorry, Das.  A while back there was mention of voting for Top Curmudgeon.  Maybe we should have one for top Thread Derailer.... :ph34r:  BTW the digging for a better sink is a never ending process!

No worries Scott. You certainly didn't sink this one.  It isn't derailed, it is just abstract. Were it a serious thread it might get derailed. This is just art and art can be abstract. 

Funny, every time I want to work on this being spring time the honey do list gets waved at me.

I do have a few sinks in my resource piles.

Once in place it'd be a sunk. When I first thought of it, Mother and Dad were thinking of a pond and waterfall next to the swimming pool so they could share the filters and water. They were Porcelain then. A pond never happened so they never officially vetoed my idea. <sigh> Later I started seeing cultured, "marble" and would probably go with that for a rust free sunk. I thought about stacking sinks to make a stepped waterfall sort of thing. 

No pond though so no sunk. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Couldnt say that I know that I have you beat on slow projects Scott. But I know of at least one I started a thread on i think and it is still in a bucket on a shelf sadly. Itll be fun to try to look it up one day to finish it. I Really don't want this to end up like that.  I feel like I Need this critter as a transition back to good. 

Sunken sinks? I would guess the Titanic has you beat lol. 

I tried to think how to work a semi-sunk sink (sinked sunk?) into a project like that but it drained me.

Das, I bet I know what one you are talking about n I hope it see's daylight sometime.  Beastie will get you on track.  I go back looking at those horns quite a bit.....;)

Thomas if you ever finish it, it will be a bi-centennial edition and something worth celebrating.....

You might be drained but you are not trapped. 

That project might see the light of day again. It hasn't been scrapped yet. Some things just take time. 

Well Thomas, your project is older than me. Certainly a bicentennial + project. 

Release the Kraken!

More like Might the kraken release Us!