I Forge Iron

Beastie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My project was building a crossbow "old school" based on Payne-Gallowey; the piece was a part of an oak beam that had been seasoning for over 200 years---came from a barn in New Jersey that our historical society had tried to save from a developer (why I know the age).  We did not succeed in saving it but I took a piece of oak from the bulldozed pile before they burned it.

I saw what you did there.  I had a flagon of Saka to spite you...;)  I'm thinking that new longer editing window may have an adverse affect on fun poking....  Judging by the musical conversation going on over on Glenn's Open Air Blacksmith Shop thread, I better not reveal my musical tastes for re-energisation.  It got me searching out new music, though and I found a cool new one man band.

Cool project Thomas.  I might need a copy of "The Crossbow Mediaeval and Modern Military and Sporting Its Construction History" but I have to meter out my book budget.  Doing a search I found a old engraving of a crossbow that supposedly hurled round rock projectiles.  IDK....  Hate to take one of those in the chest.

I have a chunk of old-growth oak that was part of the original 1835 structure of First Church in Oberlin, in its day the largest building in North America west of the Alleghanies. Salvaged it during some major renovations they were doing a few years back, along with quite a lot of scrap metal (some went to the yard, the copper buss bars stayed with me).

Poke away Scott, I think I'm part Pillsbury dough boy I have so much pokable space. I wouldn't have noticed I'd missed the "n" if you hadn't quoted me. How was the Saka?

I wonder how many people reading this know what Sanka is and looked it up. It was my parent's after dinner cup of coffee. . . sort of stuff. 

Frosty The Lucky.

From amazon: 

"Sanka naturally and gently decaffeinated coffee is custom roasted for an inviting aroma and wonderfully smooth taste."

I drink Folgers and like to pull the coffee pot out and pour after it gets a little bit in it for a cheapo "espresso" blast in the morning.

Do you make the pot strong enough that taking the first super coffee doesn't mean the rest of the pot is weak?

We had a guy on the drill crew for a while that used to take a cup as soon as one was brewed and we got stuck with weak coffee whether we asked him not to or not. It wasn't too hard a fix, I doubled the grounds in the basket, our coffee was only a LITTLE strong but his was about a pot in a cup strong. 

Frosty The Lucky.

That is correct.  I fill the filter up close to full.  Now that I think about it, that old maker must be at least 15 years old.  Well seasoned.  Now that I mentioned it, it will probably quit working soon.

I remember having to work overnight at the Labs once, early in the morning I remembered that the field support room had a coffeemaker and they were wont to forget to turn it off and empty it...I snuck in and found just a inch or two of sludge in the bottom of the pot; Ambrosia!

Now I'm off coffee and make do with tea; loose leaf black tea, I make 64 oz a day and none goes to waste!

My amount of coffee I drink varies per weather temps. Summer time is sweet iced tea time. Atleast after coffee. 

I heard that coffee daily is supposed to be good for you now. Lol. All that stuff seems to change with the wind. If true I'm good.  Wonder if it wards off covid too. Heard vitamin D and C are supposed to ward it off and I haven't had covid yet and take vitamin D and C daily. Hmm... 

Iced tea can be as strong or weak as one likes. Same with sweetness. Ive had sweet teas where it was just too sweet like karo syrup. I like it sweetened but not heavy. Refreshing is the goal in my opinion. 

On 5/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, Daswulf said:

whatever they make for coffee at work. 

I remember sooooo long ago, one of those coffee vending machines at work that cost a quarter for a paper cup of tasteless hot brown water.  That's when I started using a themos.  I hope they have a coffee pot where you work!

I can't drink tea, though I like it.  It goes right through me.

"I've had sweet teas where it was just too sweet"   I was going to say something rude and then realized that Das lived above the Mason Dixon Line and so has to be forgiven for thinking sweet tea can be too sweet!

Now when they tell me that Splenda will no longer be provided for us Diabetic Sweet Tea drinkers; then I'll have to check in to the sweet tea status in the afterlife!

(Just finishing my 16oz mug of sweet milky hot tea---a British Professor's wife told me that I drink "Builders Tea' for breakfast!)

When cooking shows were about cooking something rather than filled with "entertaining personal stories, etc." and I watched I watched a few chefs I really admire make sweet tea. Alton Brown made sweet tea with the same ratio as simple syrup and there were a couple even sweeter. 

I buy Splenda by the large bag and order unsweetened ice tea and packets of splenda or other sweetener or drink ice water or hot coffee. 

I prefer green for tea hot but any black tea is good but if I have access to ice cubes I double the bags or leaf and pour it over the ice. 

Nothing beats sun tea. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I have no fear of having to urinate. I drink a lot no matter what it is. Gatta keep my tract clean. lol

Thomas, you are correct!

I am a sugar drinking beast but I don't see how drinking kayro syrup thick iced tea is refreshing.  Unless you have massive amounts of Ice to thin it out as it melts. Who knows. I like it thick with tea and just sweet enough to be sweet tea. 

Frosty, Sun tea is a good thing! I brew to get the most out of it usually. 

I only do sugar. I dont like artificial sweet. I have had stevia before and it is surprising. 

Scott, we do have a coffee pot but one that fills the pump carafes. It is ok but sometimes weak. I was banned from making it when I could get a straw to stand up in a cup of it. Ah well. 

When I worked midnight security shift I would brew two pots and bring two thermoses full. Still ended up getting a vending machine coffee on one of my rounds. Add the chocolate mocha stuff,enough sugar and it tastes ok enough to drink. 

• 8 months later...

Thanks, yeah, It is kind of leading away from my initial vision but still going in a fun direction. I don't mind it going in a dragony way. 

Funny thing is the head is looking more asian dragon to me when I actually like images of european fantasy dragons. Then again who knows, it might still get a humanoid body, or maybe not. 

Looking at it at the moment I feel like it needs a mohawk. Lol.