I Forge Iron

Question on hardware for tightening a steel hoop.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for ideas on how to configure a steel hoop around a stump. Said hoop is made/formed of 3/8 X 1.5 inch mild steel. The obvious (to me) is to weld a large nut on one end, a fixed loop to the other end and use a bolt passed through the eye into the nut to cinch it down.

I'm not sure if I like the method described above, and would like input from someone on alternative means. It seems I have seen similar situations where a cam lock device was used to take up slack and tighten the band, but I can't seem to find one pre-made where I could just weld it on.

Any Ideas?

How large is the "stump". 

Bend it up to match the place you want it, heat it up to about 400f, mark the lap where it fits the stump. Cut it leaving maybe 1/8" gap and weld it closed before it cools then drive it onto the block. It will shrink fit a little charing of the block will make a step it won't be able to slip out of. 

Think of it like putting a tire on a wagon wheel but being a smaller diameter it will need to be much closer to fitting that a wagon tire. You can check out Cooper how tos, wooden pails use shrunk bands too but I don't know what a bucket maker is called. Thin strap is easier to do this with.

Frosty The Lucky.

I said 400f didn't I? I suggest heating it in the oven.

If you heat it to red it will stretch as it cools and not properly tighten.

Thanks for catching that Thomas, I forgot not overheating the band and why.

It's good to have backup. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys, I can always count on your excellent input. For what it's worth, Im glad for the clarification on the 400f temp limit. I did read it, but in reality would have likely just swagged it and overheated it just as you predict.

One more thing, Frosty- so are you saying I should go thinner on my material?

I'm glad you did Thomas, it's an easy intuitive mistake to make. It's a perfect example of, "A little is good, a LOT isn't better."

I would, 1/4" is more than necessary to prevent a wood block from splitting and it's easier to fit. 3/8" won't hurt but it's not better and it's harder to fit if you want it flush with the block's OD.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is not exactly the same as fitting a steel band on a stump, but shows the application of heat shrinking steel tires on wagon wheels and hubs.

Check out "Engels Coach Shop" on YT.  He does some fantastic fitting of steel bands on wheels and hubs.  You might pick up some tips there.  I love to watch him work with the wagons and coaches, but then I digress...sorry.

If you shrink to fit, have water around to cool it quickly. Less char to your wood. As to thickness, 1/4" or even thinner will work. However thicker with nicely champfered edges works as an aesthetics choice. Also, if you use 3/8", you can drill and tap the band to add tool hangers.

Another way, because your stump may shrink and your band will become loose, is to do two right angle bends to make two tabs or ears on the ends of your strap. Drill a hole in each ear. Then turn to fit your stump. Now you can put a bolt thru the holes and tighten the band. 

The parts about putting bands on hubs in the Engels Coach Shop videos are closer to banding a stump.

Good points all Anvil. Making a band that can be adjusted takes into account widely changing humidity like we get here. If it's a cold winter our precipitation would class us as desert but summer can look like a rain forest. I like the idea of drilling and tapping hole in a thicker band for tool holders. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks alot, all of you. 

In my post I indicated 3/8. I meant 3/16- - my dislexia strikes again.

Lary good idea on that.

Arkie, yes, I too really enjoy Engells. I have watched them when they "tire" some pretty big wagon wheels with steel

As for you Latticino, in terms of sheer xxxxxxxxx, yes that is really nice. I may have to give it a go when I strap a leg vise to a post.