I Forge Iron

Becma suddenly not reaching welding temp

RHarris

Don't sweat tagging names it gets lots of folk at first, it's just part of the learning curve for this OS. You want to watch language too, parts of sentences being Xed out might get you moderated if it happens too often. Again, just part of the learning curve.

NICE cleaver the WI pattern came out well. San Mai, yes?

It surprised me when I started talking to blacksmiths online just how many are avid cooks, heck chefs in many cases. I've always loved to cook and bake. Satisfying to see people making feeding animal noises like an Italian western over my food. 

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, Frazer said:

Pretty. I love the pattern from the wrought. Did you use nickle sheet between the edge material and rest of the blade?

Thanks. Yeah nickel between the wrought and steel. It's a bit bold at times, sometimes I prefer just the wrought, but it does catch the eye. 

Thomas, if yours is similar to that, it looks an absolute beauty!  I love the simplicity of the fly press. They can be really effective tools. I think I'd want as big as possible just for more mass, more energy. Wouldn't be interested in motor powered that would take away the beauty of it for me. But yeah, I'll see how my body copes! 

Frosty, yeah, I've been given a lifetime fine apparently. I did write to the moderator and apologize. It's a cultural difference. The word I used isn't considered offensive or inappropriate at all in the UK. My mistake of course, I shall think twice next time. Not a very good start for me though is it? ;)

Yeah it's san mai. I used to do mono steel constructions and still do, but san mai makes many things easier and is a more poetic process. 

Frazer, yeah I've read that as well. Part of the reason I use it. However I don't have the tools to test the difference / effectiveness of this (I only have basic HTC files). My only observation is in earlier testing, without the nickel, I definitely wasn't reaching max hardness out the quench. BUT, I also discovered I was using the wrong quench oil (too fast). But when I changed that, I also started using the nickel, so no scientific process to understand what was at play. As mentioned I am not using any power tool to move the hot metal, so I figure reducing carbon migration can only be helpful. 

Ok  here are a couple of pictures of my screwpress.  It's not a flypress; but what can you expect for US$100 FOB?

Screwpress1.thumb.JPG.18c3dbd0d70a2009a1da9b7cf063bb80.JPG

Screwpress2.thumb.JPG.a14581bf11dbd2f97b496cd810c66ca4.JPG

Door gives some scale to it. 

When using it; it's fun to watch those blocks of steel *flex*. It's from the toolroom at the old WECO plant on Columbus Ohio's east side.  They bought it around the time I was born and sold it to me when they shut the plant down.  All the heavy hitters were spending big bucks on wave soldering machines and new tech stuff.  I was the only bidder on the screwpress...(They sold hand operated arbor presses for more!)

11 hours ago, RHarris said:

Frosty, yeah, I've been given a lifetime fine apparently.

Oh yes. I've talked to Glenn about how infuriating the "zero points that never expire" is. Unfortunately it's part of the OS the site uses and can't be changed or removed without rewriting a stupid amount of code. 

I've been around for I don't know how long and still get the permanent zero award now and then. I have managed to throttle my ire and NOT unsub though I have to not post for a while till I cool down.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are times when the mods need to fix something about a post that doesn't warrant an actual penalty (like posting something in the wrong section), the only way the software will let them do it is to send a warning with zero points attached. I gather that the software doesn't distinguish between how many points are attached to a warning and that all points default to never expiring.

Kind of like the set of all sets that don't contain themselves.

Yes, which is why the zero-point warnings exist. However, unless the behavior is a particularly egregious violation of the rules (e.g., creating an account in order to post spam), moderation usually comes before outright banning. A lot of us have been moderated at one point or another, and it can actually be a good opportunity to take a breath and let things cool down.

Thomas, looks like an absolute beauty! I have seen many in the USA use this type of screw press with the cylindrical top... You call it a screw press instead? Fly press on apply to those with the balls on top? I wonder if you added balls / more mass it would pack an even bigger punch? 

My fly press is pretty sad. I'll see if I have a photo. Got it as it was the cheapest and nearest I could find! Was about £45 I think. BUT one of the arms had been cut off. Cut off! It's friggin wrought iron as well. What an unforgivable act! So it's got my bodged flux core welded arm on it and a giant old hammer head, if similar weight, attached as an extra ball weight. Then I spend about £100 just on materials to make the stand... I mean it's made its worth back several times over. But now that I've used one, I'd 100% just spend considerably more to get a much larger one in good working order and with a stand. 

I've got some aggressive drawing dies on mine which can move a surprising amount along without 'power'. Particularly helpful if you're stretching something 10-12" long or your billet is an inch thick, both of which apply to me. 

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

Yes, which is why the zero-point warnings exist. However, unless the behavior is a particularly egregious violation of the rules (e.g., creating an account in order to post spam), moderation usually comes before outright banning. A lot of us have been moderated at one point or another, and it can actually be a good opportunity to take a breath and let things cool down.

Yeah these things can be frustrating can't they. But the mod did explain why and what happened, so I have no hard feelings. 

Okay, new symptom.... 

I can't run the forge at a lower temp. When I dial it down, it just cuts out and starts spluttering from the jet itself rather than the burner. If that makes sense? I can try and get a video of this if possible. 

It also cut out at what I'd say a 'moderate' temperature / rate of fuel a couple of times. 

I have no gauge on the regulator, so have no numbers to quote I'm afraid... 

Not a massive issue immediately but far from ideal. Uses more fuel and risk of over heating some parts. Also makes normalising cycles from the forge almost impossible as its just too hot (I do proper kiln cycles but like to reduce the grain from welding heats using the forge as well) 

What do you all think? Need to seek a new jet? 

No Screw press vs Fly press is based on the number of leads on the screw.   2 or 1 is a screw press 3-5 is a fly press.  Fly presses are "faster acting" screw presses exert more pressure.  Soon after I bought that screw press I was laid off and so consider it my "goodbye gift" from that company.