I Forge Iron

New Member here…

stevenlynnhall

Steven, I will bet that of the thousands of folk on IFI from many countries around the world your avatar photo is the only one sporting a tie.  You are going to couth us up.  As a blacksmith and an attorney I have been teased that I forge in a business suit.  I can say that I have never shown up in court in a leather apron.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

7 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Steven, I will bet that of the thousands of folk on IFI from many countries around the world your avatar photo is the only one sporting a tie. 

Ha! It’s the one I had (my day job is real estate) 

will update with an appropriate one when I can   Preferably, working in my “smithy” lol

13 hours ago, stevenlynnhall said:

As for the hair drier it is a small travel one that on the low setting doesn’t seem to push out a whole lot of air.

If that hair dryer has a "Cool Shot" button that turns off the heating elements I would recommend using some electrical tape to keep that pressed down. Running it with the heat going will burn out the little motor in short order. I used a hair dryer for quite a while when I was starting out. One without the cool button lasted a week or two and the other survived about a year before it eventually gave up the ghost. I ended up switching to a squirrel cage furnace blower with a speed controller and finally to a hand crank.

Volume of air aside, hair dryers are loud.

Not sure where I should post an update….

but, today was a new lesson in failed design!

the biggest flaw I found in the “washtub” / old grill to forge conversion that I made is it’s REALLY difficult to heat up the handle of longer material. 
My rebar practice piece is slowly becoming a fire poker.  Figured that would be a good project since the big screwdriver still isn’t long enough…  but the way my forge is designed I can’t get much further up than about 8” or so. I now asleep the upside of a flat bed of sand and I side addressed blower pipe into a mound of charcoal blocked off by some firebricks.   This will be tomorrow’s goal! As I did use up about $10 in charcoal and still not done. 
On the good side, I got to do some work around the horn making the hook.  That was fun!!!  Oh, and most importantly I learned 3 and 4 pound hammers are not for wusses (and I am a wuss) so I bought me a 2lb hammer and it worked SO much better. 
Also, for everyone that’s ready to tell me to take some lessons… I have contacted my local chapter and am in the process of setting that up. 
Thanks again for everything folks,

Steve

4EB3E087-2717-471C-B470-047D9E60804D.jpeg

B6FC40F7-EB9F-4B06-96D3-3865E5AA98C7.jpeg

9413D673-F7A3-4EBF-BA3A-85D1FDC66760.jpeg

354879AC-3A36-4087-8FAA-BD7AC8C8682C.jpeg

Exactly!  Lesson learned for sure…

will be upgrading tomorrow…. Wish I would have found this forum before I built it. 
The design I think is fine for small stock. But the stock can’t be longer than the sunken area!!! 
the end goal WAS just making knives, but now I want to make all sorts of other things too. 

Also, I will be softening the edges on that anvil. I can now see all the little lines cut into the metal and they are harder to remove than the “rebar” texture!!!!!

36 minutes ago, stevenlynnhall said:

Not sure where I should post an update….

I struggled with this until a member advised me to think what I was posting about. If it's a solid fuel forge, there is a section for that. If I'm talking about heat treating some steel there is a section for that and so on. Took me a while to stop posting everything in General Blacksmithing.:)

PS: This is posted not just for you, but for any new members who may run across this post. (I think you are doing just fine).

29 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I struggled with this until a member advised me to think what I was posting about. If it's a solid fuel forge, there is a section for that. If I'm talking about heat treating some steel there is a section for that and so on. Took me a while to stop posting everything in General Blacksmithing.:)

PS: This is posted not just for you, but for any new members who may run across this post. (I think you are doing just fine).

Hey thanks,  

wasn’t sure if I should keep it in the same thread for easy continuation (also, kind of a progress record for myself as well), or in the appropriate section. From now on I will do that. 
I appreciate it.