I Forge Iron

making a vise

Domnu

My master had to leave for a week and left me with the simple task to "make something nice" while he was gone, so I decided to try making  a vise, again...This one is a little smaller than the last one. 4" jaws vs the 6" on the last one. I really wanted to try making this style with upset corners after I saw a similar shape on one of Tom Latané's vises. I forgewelded in 1070 steel into the jaws. Another fun thing with this vise is the threads. Instead of turning them on the lathe I forged them this time, both the inner and outer threads. Really went a lot quicker than making them on the lathe. The screw is made from an old car axle forged down and then forged in a swage to make the threads. All in all the whole build took 6 days.

20220204_194037.jpg

20220204_194125.jpg

20220204_182105.jpg

20220203_171014.jpg

I drilled out a hole in the nut matching the outer diameter of the screw, then i just put the screw inside the nut whilst the nut was hot and forged the nut around the screw in a swage. Made some really nice internal threads 

On 2/4/2022 at 10:20 PM, Domnu said:

My master had to leave for a week and left me with the simple task to "make something nice" while he was gone, so I decided to try making  a vise, again...

This is the portion of your post I did not understand... Who exactly is the master?

Impressive construction. 

Is there a possibility you make a video of you building one of these beauties and show us? 

4 hours ago, Domnu said:

I am an apprentice at a forge here in norway, my master is called Ola Svensson  I would be surprised if you have heard of him before though. I have uploaded a video  with most of the forging  i sadly lost some footage, but most of the important parts are there.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9YGd2SpMp88

Thanks for the video.

I was joking when I wrote

"This is the portion of your post I did not understand... Who exactly is the master?"

Your skill level is amazing and I am sure that are many blacksmith "masters" with less skill and are teaching. So I was joking with my question if the other fellow is the master or if you are the master?! :D

What is the dimension of the stock material you use for this forging?

Now, with your skill and the tools you have available, I am sure you can forge a fairly massive blacksmith vice with 20 cm or even 25 cm jaws, both legs massive down to the floor, or even forge a nice anvil...

Ok, and careful with the ceiling...

I agree, very cool build and interesting video! I liked the part where you forged the threads. Unfortunately there was no video of you forging the nut, that would have been cool to see too. Do you by any chance have some pictures on how that swage you used for the threads works?

~Jobtiel

21 minutes ago, caotropheus said:

Thanks for the video.

I was joking when I wrote

"This is the portion of your post I did not understand... Who exactly is the master?"

Your skill level is amazing and I am sure that are many blacksmith "masters" with less skill and are teaching. So I was joking with my question if the other fellow is the master or if you are the master?! :D

What is the dimension of the stock material you use for this forging?

Now, with your skill and the tools you have available, I am sure you can forge a fairly massive blacksmith vice with 20 cm or even 25 cm jaws, both legs massive down to the floor, or even forge a nice anvil...

Ok, and careful with the ceiling...

I am thinking about making a massive one with the hinge all the way doen at the floor with 20cm jaws, but i will need to get the 100kg powerhammer going first. my master also have some crazy plans for forgewelding together an anvil, but that won't happen before winter is over and we can build a massive coal forge outside. I used 50mm square bar. 450mm for both arms. and yeah, i really need to watch out for the ceiling, I am a little too tall for this forge...

This may give you some ideas on how to manage big chunks of steel to make big welds. I guess they built this big coal forge specifically to make this anchor. They use the anchor mass as its own anvil. The forge is so sturdy, they can hammer on it.  A crane/hoist and a few chains can help a great deal handling heavy chunks of hot steel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZQMYaPMpM8&ab_channel=brucewilcock

Each time I need a big forge with good insulation, I dig a hole in the ground and a lot of forced air, though Mrs. Caotropheus does not like I dig holes in the lawn...

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the video. Too bad the SD card filled up, I would have liked to have seen more of the thread forging both external and the internal threads! 

I also enjoyed watching the other video on this channel. If you or your shop puts out more videos, you’ve got at least one more viewer!

David