I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths in Architectural Frieze

JHCC

Ran across an interesting online article about buildings in London that have architectural details about the trades they were associated with. These are four terracotta friezes (represent forging, grinding, handling, and finishing) that were made for the the façade of the Livery Hall of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers by sculptor Benjamin Creswick (1853-1946), who had himself worked as a knife-grinder in Sheffield. The Worshipful Company was chartered in 1416, and the Livery Hall was opened in 1888.

BLOG-cutlers-hall-frieze-1-JYH3383.jpg?ssl=1

BLOG-cutlers-hall-frieze-2-JYH3386.jpg?resize=1024%2C282&ssl=1

BLOG-cutlers-hall-frieze-3-JYH3389.jpg?ssl=1

BLOG-cutlers-hall-frieze-4-JYH3391.jpg?ssl=1

(All images © Jerry Young)

Our meetings are held near/in Albuquerque on the first Saturday of every other month; so Feb 5 is the next one.  New Mexico Artist Blacksmith Association will get you to the website.  You are welcome to come visit my hobby shop; we decided to pull the trigger on my retirement the end of January with a 4 week notice so I'll be free during the week around beginning of March.

Good for you on your retirement! And the weather will be getting better by then. My last Blacksmith meeting in N.M. was back when it was SWABA and most meetings were in Sante Fe or Rowe. ABQ is closer than the Rocky mtn smiths.