I Forge Iron

Found a vise in an unlikely place.

bluerooster

We flew in to the Triple Tree aerodrome, back in Sept.  Camped out, and had some decent BBQ sat. night.  Well, next to the main hanger where the bbq was had, there is an old storage building decorated on the outside with all manner of neat stuff.  Well outside, laying on a barrel, looking forlorn, was this post vise. It appears to be all there, but the screw is locked up (probably rust). 

I sent an email asking about it, and the reply came back with two questions;  Could I come pick it up,  and what would I offer.    Reckon what would be a fair offer?

IMG_20210925_112010898_HDR (Copy).jpg

Something looks off with it. Almost looks like the screw is too short. (Maybe it’s just the camera angle…) I wouldn’t offer to much, maybe $50. A lot depends on you area and how much effort it will take to get it into working order.

David

It looks like one of the more robust models (as opposed to the lighter more "gracile" ones).  I'm guessing the jaws at 6-8" wide, which is good (I'm assuming the drum it is on is a 55 gallon one.  If smaller, revise the jaw size estimate down).   I agree with Goods and Irondragon about screw issues and that around $50 would be a fair offer.

Also, when taking pics like this having something of a known size such as a pen, ruler, hat, hammer, etc. for scale in the photo is a good thing.

BTW, had to google Triple Tree Areodrome to find its location.  What do you fly?  My son is majoring in Aviation at the Univ. of North Dakota and will be a commercial pilot when he graduates.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Seems like it "might" be missing a secondary wedge on the mount. 

With the screw being locked up it is a total guess as to the condition of it. The rest all looks good but not knowing the condition of the screw and box puts it in the lower tier. See if they would take $40. or so for it. Having to put work in after you buy it to even know if it is ok is iffy. Maybe its an easy fix, maybe its shot and needs the hardest part to replace or repair. 

Looks like a Columbian vise with the non-beveled legs and short open ended screwbox.  I too wonder about the screw/screwbox of the vise. However as I own 4? of the Columbians---going for size over "pretty" when I was younger, and none of my large Columbians have the screw extending past the open end of the screwbox.  It could be pretty much ok.

I judge the cost of a post vise to be based about 80% on the condition of the screw as everything else can be fixed with "blacksmith" methods; but replacing the screw/screwbox is a whole different thing. Unfortunately you can't see the screw.

I'd offer US$40, go to 60 and when it came home I'd turn it so the open end of the screwbox was up and fill it to the brim with a good penetrating mix and let soak and try to move it a little every weekend.  If after a couple of months it's still stubborn; I'd think of draining it and trying gentle heating.  If they want a lot more; tell them they can get it free and working and if the screwbox busts then they can scrap it!

On 11/6/2021 at 7:37 PM, George N. M. said:

BTW, had to google Triple Tree Areodrome to find its location.  What do you fly?  My son is majoring in Aviation at the Univ. of North Dakota and will be a commercial pilot when he graduates.

55 gallon drum, and 20oz Powerade.  I made them an offer, and am waiting on reply. I have probably offered too much, but it will go toward a good cause, not just lining someones pockets.

I have a Cherokee 140. Here's a pic, of it at the camp site.

IMG_20210925_123137533 (Copy).jpg

Thanks for the input ya'll. I'll let you know if I get it.

• 3 months later...