I Forge Iron

Need bar stock for tooling.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

As for the quoting: next time you are in a conversation with someone, repeat the entirety of what they have said since the last word you had said, before adding your reply. Continue to do so for the entire conversation. See?   Now a brief quote to focus on something is ok; particularly if several folks are "all talking at once".

Thanks. I still don't get the quote thing but I'll  try to figure it out.

I just figured grinding might be easier than forging  but I'm not against forging it. I was under the impression that heat treating such a tool would be a waste of time because using it to  forge hot steal will cause it to lose its temper, but perhaps I'm wrong

Actually to change dimensions and shape, forging is generally easier.      You probably won't ever  get it up to critical in use so it  won't anneal or normalize so some sort of residual hardening will still be present and it will keep the top from mushrooming under the hammer impacts.

Everything is easier than something you dont know how to do. Everything gets easier the more you do it. Blacksmithing is particularly hard to do because we deal with a material that is hard and doesnt like to move. Blacksmiths are often thought of as "toolmakers".  

Thus my question. If your goal is blacksmithing, then the more hot iron you forge, the more you are learning how to blacksmith. Obviously this applies to heat treating your tools too. 

4 hours ago, USANewbie said:

I still don't get the quote thing but I'll  try to figure it out.

It's easy do not quote a post that we all have just read and really don't want to read it again. Quotes should only be used when something you are replying to is several posts prior and they should be trimmed down to only the information being replied to. There are a lot of members around the world who still have to use dial up internet or pay for data and useless quotes cost them money.

Look back at your previous posts and you will see where a mod has edited your posts removing the quotes that were not needed.

1 hour ago, USANewbie said:

how to use the anvil and hammer is a must. 

Actually, considering a guillotine tool, I'd spend my time doing just that, spend my time with hammer and anvil, and add tools as you learn what you need. A center punch, cold chisel, hot chisel, poker, rake, and tongs come to mind. Basically every thing you can do with a  guillotine, you can do with a hammer and anvil. Its far better to learn these basics first. 

Lol, don’t worry we can usually tell who a comment is directed towards,

your post have been moderated more times in 24 hours then I think Mine have in the last year, 

it seems Mod30 is being pretty patient with you but that may not last, 

it’s ok to make mistakes now an then but you have been directed to both the quote rules as well as the read this first thread, 

im afraid if you keep pushing your new guy limits the Mods won’t be so friendly anymore, 

Everyone on ifi loves meeting new friends here and watching their progress an talking with them! There’s tons of information to be learned and many experienced smiths more than willing to reach out a helping hand, but there are still rules to be followed, 

Don’t worry about people trying to understand who your responding to unless it’s been several posts in between by others then don’t worry about using the quote feature 

relax, kick back, learn, and most importantly have fun! 

48 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

USAN; So add a name if you don't think it's obvious; rather than 10 lines of text still just a click up!

45 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Lol, don’t worry we can usually tell who a comment is directed towards,

Forgive me. I don't understand what the problem is or the solution. I really don't but I'm trying.

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.

Guys. Remember the rule about feeding trolls. Anybody who honestly doesn't understand what not abusing the quote rule means, probably isn't safe handling anything hotter than body temperature. 

Of course s/he could be a pre-teen and need extra slack. I'll be more than happy to help IF s/he puts me in touch with a parent or guardian.

Otherwise I'm not feeding him/her. Seriously, this is all the Scooby snack I'm tossing in the thread.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, USANewbie said:

Who am i responding to?

In that case you should trim the quote. Are you using a computer or phone?  It's easy on a computer, to trim a quote you highlight just the important wording and a button appears that says quote this click on it.  Then only the highlighted portion will be quoted. BTW you responded to my post about the quote feature.

Look, I'm not  a  troll, and i seriously didn't understand. I agreed to what you advised me so im not sure what the problem is. I'm leaving this forum, i have better things to do with my time than this. Been there done that. By.

Maybe you guys understand but i don't. Its not my fault you have a quote  function that shouldn't be used. That doesn't even make sense. Anyway, I'm sorry i upset you you. That seems to be a  recurring problem with me, so I'll log out now. Have a blessed day.