I Forge Iron

Stump Stand

Since we don't have any hardwoods of any size around here about all we get is pine or cotton wood big enough for an anvil stand.  I have used a piece of Ponderosa Pine for years with no problem.  I have heard that, traditionally, the best wood for an anvil stand was a piece of elm set 4' into the shop floor.  Just as long as it is solid with no rot or punky places any solid piece of any species should do.  Well, maybe not balsa or anything particularly soft but that is about it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) has very similar working characteristics to sugar maple (Acer saccharum), if slightly softer and with a slightly coarser grain. Should be great for a stand, and you can't beat the price.

12 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I have heard that, traditionally, the best wood for an anvil stand was a piece of elm set 4' into the shop floor.

Sycamore and elm both have interlocked ("rowed") grain, which resists splitting. Another point in sycamore's favor.

I can vouch for elm being split resistant, that stuff can make my 25 ton Splitter really sweat when trying to split it green! Lol

I haven’t ever cut sycamore but it does seem to rot a lot faster than other woods when it’s on the ground, but that may just be my imagination,

a neighbor up the road a couple miles just had a massive white oak go down, it was growing on a creek bank by his house right on top of a boulder an I guess the creek finally washed away enough dirt after a 100+ years that it lost its hold an fell, 

he stopped by and asked if I wanted some and I haven’t got around to making a stand for my 225 Peter yet so I told him I’d like a chunk or two, so they saved the last 10’ log for me, I think he said it’s around 36” so I gotta get down there and cut the rest of it up, 

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

-- Lady Celia Congreve

Give Lady Celia a break: I don't think they have hickory or bowdock in England!

I got about a chord of ash firewood some years back when the Emerald Ash Borer took out the tree in our front yard. A lot of it went into hammer handle blanks, too.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, Chad J. said:

I've had 2 hammer handles snap on me while working, both were ash.  I'm sticking with hickory whenever possible. 

Don't char them all the way through?

I've been wanting to say that since you posted and my resistance finally failed.

Frosty The Lucky.

Are you accusing Chad of being a Char-Laddie?   

If you are looking for local woods to use for hammer handles then I would find out what the indigenous peoples used for bows and try that,  Also a lot of the fruit woods have been used for handles,  crab-apple being one particularly suggested due to it's flexibility and resistance to breaking.