I Forge Iron

First Tong Build

jrmysell

I'm working on some flat bar tongs from 1/4" x 1" x 24" bar stock. I got the reins on both sides forged out but the shoulders aren't even. I also measured and they aren't quite long enough according to the chart up top here. So I need to create a new shoulder for the boss and draw some more out on each end for the reins, but I have enough material that shouldn't be an issue. But it's going fairly well. I'm happy with my progress considering all I've done before this is a few leaf keychains. 

tongs.jpg

I am doing it this way first to not use tongs. Once I get the reins done, I can cut the middle and do the boss/bits. I thought about welding reins on as well, but need practice drawing out so this is good practice. Once I feel comfortable drawing out, that's probably what I'll do. 

When I make tongs from flat bar, I almost always do split reins. Isolate the material for the jaws and bosses at either end of a bar, and then split lengthwise down the middle. You can do further drawing out if you like, but the split gives you a good head start.

Thank you. I think I got the idea from Jennifer/jlpservicesinc, but the method has been around for a while. It appears in Practical Blacksmithing, although I can’t remember the page number. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like that idea but seems much harder to do without tongs to begin with. I have a set but they don't hold this flat bar very well.

For the set I'm working on I got the reins drawn out a little more to a better length, go them split and did the indention for the bend. Will do that next time. It was getting real hot forging today in 100+ Texas heat. Figured stopping and preparing for the next part would be better than messing something up, hot and dehydrated.  

When I first started, I welded reins on some gas pliers for tongs. I still use those occasionally. 

Harbor Freight has cheap extended grip pliers which also work. A 2 lb HF sledge hammer is still one of my favorite hammers. It doesn't bounce like harder hammers, which I find more controllable. 

Hammers are like golf clubs: if you find one that hits straight, use it.

We make tongs to make handling hot iron easier or possible at all.  I'm not a fan of the above method but it's a pretty good method and no tongs necessary if you do it one end at a time. Use a cold chisel to mark the cuts and just heat one end, let it cool after you've parted that end THEN heat the other end and part.

Sure it's more hassle but that's why you're making tongs. No?

Frosty The Lucky.