I Forge Iron

Threaded rivets !?

So I have an idea to thread some brass domed rivets in  to a 1-1/4 square simply because i don’t have the length on the rivets I’m just worried that when penning the head it will mess up the threads.

also want to try this on the top of the bar instead of having to make a tennon  on 1-1/4 square  I’m also short on material.

i know you might say get the proper size rivets and bar stick but I live in the Yukon and it’s just not an option with the time frame I have.

so basically wondering if anyone has pulled this wacky threaded rivet tennon scheme .

image.thumb.jpg.920cd3a5c43b0cbb60003cbb8d02d47d.jpg

When you thread a rivit and screw it into a hole in a bar it is called a blind rivit. There are a few things you need to do or it will not tighten when you set the head. You MUST use a bottoming tap after you first cut your inside threads. A "normal" tap is tapered because it's easier to start your threads. A bottoming tap is cut flat. This way you can cut threads all the way to the bottom of the hole. If you leave the bottom of the hole tapered, the rivit will not fill the space. Thus it can't stay tight.

Cut your threads on your rivit so they end at the top of the hole. This is the best and strongest way. You can just cut the head off of a bolt and peen it over even if it's threaded. Realize doing it this way is expensive as a bolt is far more expensive than round stock or even manufactured rivits. I mean like pennies for a rivit vs the cost of a bolt.

It doesn't matter where you are from the Yukon to Tierra del Fuego, if you can't find material to make a rivit, you ain't looking hard enough 

Try a welding supply, brazing rod comes in pretty large diameters, it's what I use for bronze / brass rivets.

A quick web search hit on several: Ajax steel and Jacobson's look likely from here. They're in Whitehorse though, maybe you know someone who makes the drive regularly and will pick some up. That or give them a call and ask if they'll ship.

Frosty The Lucky.