I Forge Iron

my first real anvil

Soderfors are top drawer anvils. $1000 dollars for it as a good price, is depending upon where in the world you are located. I can think of a half dozen countries that use dollars for their currency. Another factor would depend upon if it passes the ring & rebound test to determine if it has lost it's hardness in a fire or not.

Unless it's been through a hot enough fire $1,000 is a darned good price for a cast Swedish steel anvil and Soderfors are as good as they get. I wouldn't even dicker and I always make a counter offer. Not for that beauty though it'd be in my pickup . . . now.

Oops, in my excitement I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome aboard Mr. Anderson, glad to have you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm in the us, I'm new to the craft and I've only done very small work on my grandpas old railroad track anvil that he passed down to me so I know this anvil is way above the needs of my proficiency but I'm hoping i can grow into it. thank you both, you've given me a lot more confidence and I appreciate your knowledge.

I see you added your location, given that like Frosty said the price is right and if I were you I would be all over it. Keep in mind with good anvils, they do not stay on the market very long. Like my grandpa always said, "if you snooze, you lose". With a 288 pound anvil, there isn't much you can't do with it.

Check out the anvil stand section of the forum, especially the "Show me your anvil stands" thread:

I am personally a big fan of the welded metal tripod, partially because of its weight and stability, but also because it helps reduce the ring of the anvil (especially when you put a layer of silicone caulk between the anvil and the stand). With a Soderfors, you're going to need all the ring-reduction you can get.

SWEET SCORE Mr. Anderson! Buy good hearing protection, plugs AND muffs aren't unreasonable using a Soderfors anvil. 

Yes, a steel stand will damp the ring for the same reason cast iron with steel face anvils are quiet. The resonance between the stand damp each other. My steel tripod stand has an angle iron rim flange up the anvil fits snugly and your tong and hammer racks wedge it tight. 

A sand box stand is a good option, you can adjust the height easily and you can move them with a hand truck reasonably easy. Moving a tripod with a hand truck is trickier and needs some forethought to make it as easy as possible. I didn't and I have to tie it to the hand truck.  

I don't blame you, even when I was younger and stronger I didn't like moving heavy stuff by hand. I have a 200 lb. Trenton that I'm perfectly happy with it where it is. Heck, I'm not crazy about lifting my 125lb. Soderfors. The garage sale engine hoist is the BEST garage sale deal I've ever made, makes loading and unloading the pickup EZ PZ. 

Prepare to be spoiled for using other anvil makes.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the idea of the sandbox stand, does the anvil just sit on top of the compacted sand or is there something i can't see clamping it down? It seems like a tighter bond then gravity would be required to keep it really stable. Nearly all of the videos I've watched have stressed the importance of bolting the anvil tightly to the stump for both noise reduction and energy conservation. 

Mobility won't be particularly important for me as if i wanted to work somewhere else i still have my railroad anvil that i can easily toss into my car

When using sand to reduce the ring of an anvil, just level the sand at the proper level for the anvil height and set the anvil down onto the sand.  It may settle a small amount during use but just raise the anvil and add a bit more sand. 

To further reduce the ring of the anvil I found that 2-3 inches (or more) of sand over the feet works well.

mr.anderson, i have a 402 lb Kholswa anvil that i have used since 1980 . built a sreel box out of 3/16th sheet, poured in sand and then a piece of 1/2 inch chip board. makes it  stable and does not ring too bad,and the anvil does not tilt or move.  Smokey.

Congratulations! Let the good time roll!

Did you put a seat belt on it for the ride home? It sounds silly but imagine being in a roll over accident with an anvil. I know, it's a little late to mention it now, my bad. For anyone else looking to bring an anvil or heavy piece of anything home with them in the cabin with you. Tie it down please, thing can get messy.

Frosty The Lucky.