I Forge Iron

Affordable Ways to Quench

4 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Did you see the episode where one of the runner up contestants (an experienced bladesmith) was using  a fiberglass makeshift horizontal quench tank for a long sword inside his shop and it caught on fire. 

I did see that. Propane tank right there and all. 

Unless you are making a machete, a half gallon of Canola oil pre-heated to around 130 degrees Fahrenheit will work. Almost any cracker box sized, sheet metal container will perform admirably. I myself used an a spent welding rod box and a estate sale hot plate for years until my projects out grew it. A little searching and $10 bill will get you there. 

Well said JHCC,  I strive for outstanding in my creations but often my skill sets are lacking to achieve that goal. As for FIF. What can I say. Its entertaining and yet frustrating.. Its tests are outlandish but as demonstrated by show after show, they are survivable. I've been amazed by the quality of some weapons and shocked at what others have turned in. It caused an explosion in the number of bladesmiths.  Some are making quality blades while others are passing off junk.. Lastly it has tended to give potential customers unrealistic expectation of the blades we make, the time it takes to create, and costs.  They expect the indestructible, in two days and all that under 50$. But like I said its entertaining.