I Forge Iron

Any market for old anvils and forge here?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of depends on Location unless you are offering free international shipping, prices are high in Australia and lower in the UK; also condition which will range the price from scrap to US$6 a pound where I live  where you live may be more or less. Then their is brand and construction: a cast iron ASO is worth about scrap rate in my opinion as a scrap hunk of steel makes a better improvised anvil. A Swedish cast steel anvil goes at top dollar if the condition is good.

Basically this is like me asking you: How much is a used car worth?  Providing no details on make, model, mileage, condition, etc...

I recently sold a 248# (stamped), Peter Wright anvil  for US$1000, one edge was rough; folks told me I could get more but I was happy at about US$4 a pound.  (On the other hand when folks called and asked if that was a firm price I would tell them "No I'd be happy to raise it to $5 a pound..." I wanted it to go to a new smith not a dealer or flipper!

One anvil was looted in the war from a french castle has sword marks on it's base. The other is a bit newer. One forge is hand cranked the other is propane. In dfw area in Texas.

That is what I am trying to do too they deserve a good home.

Mine are a bit older.

Do you have any pictures? That would help. Up here in eastern Oklahoma I’ve bought anvils anywhere from a $1 to $3 a pound and forge blowers bring anything from free to $100 depending on the size an the shape. Antique cast iron Forges I’ve seen go for $400 if they are in really really excellent shape much less if they are damaged or missing parts. 

As the temper of forged chisels was often tested by making cuts in an anvils base I'd bet those were NOT sword marks.  I've seen hundreds of anvils with such cuts in them. Note if it was from a castle; it's definitely not sword cuts; you buy swords from specialty blacksmiths located in large cities involved in the cutlery trade.  Swords were the Maserati's of the smithing trade; as much as Hollywood likes to show village smiths making them; it just wasn't done.  (Unfortunately I have only seen one castle smithy where they told folks "No they didn't make swords and armour here; those were bought in Nuremberg; this was for repair and tools for castle maintenance" Marksburg Castle, Braubach Germany (on the Rhine near Köln)

Pictures?  Weight? Style? (Is it a French Pig?)

I know you must have read "READ THIS FIRST" which explains how to size pictures for this site.

Most of the people on this site buy these tools to put them back in operation so if your wanting to sell the tools here you’ll need to get all your info like who manufactured the forges and anvils and their weight then ruffly how much you are wanting for everything. There’s lots of blacksmiths on here that are located in your area that may be interested in buying some or all of your tools so I’m sure you will be able to make a quick sell to one of them as soon as you get some pictures up and prices. 

48 minutes ago, Chelonian said:

The old anvil could be worth quite a bit, but there's not a lot to go on without photos of it.

I will try to get some pictures of them and try to figure out how to post them.

I agree with Thomas re sword cuts.  It is highly improbable that a potential sword buyer would whack an anvil or that a smith would allow it.  It is more probable that a sword purchaser would test it on a side of meat or even wood but not a hunk of metal.  It sounds like one of those urban/family legends that someone comes up with because it sounds like a good story.

Anvils sell based on weight, condition, and manufacturer, roughly in that order.  Most buyers want a larger, sometimes more than they need, anvil.  So, drag out your bathroom scale and weigh it and post the result.  Pics are not too hard.  Download to your computer from your phone or camera and then attach as a file to a post. If they are too large you may have to resize them a bit smaller for the site program to accept them.

Forges sell based on size and condition.  The main consideration for a coal forge is whether the blower works and how well.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

I think you might be right. I got it from my uncle and he was quite a character. I ended up with a stainless steel cannon he made in 5 pieces that screwed together so he could sneak it out in his lunch box. He did cowboy and Indian Reenactments. He was an Indian so he could moon the others easier. 

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

You sure we're not related?  Sounds like some of my kinfolk!  If you read through this site; you will see that question about cuts on the anvil base show up on a pretty regular basis as are damage to the sides of anvils by center punches or pick axe points.  Back in the day anvils were tools and could be easily replaced if you wanted to. I have reprints of 100+ year old Sears Roebuck catalogs just to show the size and prices of tools back then, and of course the "Rare, Old" antiques on craigslist that turn out to bet the cheapest version sold by the thousands back then.

20 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I agree with Thomas re sword cuts.  It is highly improbable that a potential sword buyer would whack an anvil or that a smith would allow it. 

I think you might be right. I got it from my uncle and he was quite a character. I ended up with a stainless steel cannon he made in 5 pieces that screwed together so he could sneak it out in his lunch box. He did cowboy and Indian Reenactments. He was an Indian so he could moon the others easier. 

20210309_151440.jpg

20210309_151512.jpg

20210309_151232.jpg

Ok that was fun. Got some of it dragged out the one I was told was newer is the hill. Have not found any marks yet on the other one.  Once my old bones rest up I will poke around some more. Any info you have about them will be appreciated. Done with horses and beating on things so time to find them a new home the kids have no interest and would sell them for scrap when I am gone.

"Anvils in America" by Richard Postman  is the best info source I know of on anvils that were made in; or imported to the USA. A picture of the underside of the other one may help nail down what brand also check on the front of the feet under the horn for weight and serial number and if there are signs of steam hammer blows to the underside of the heel.

Both are London Pattern and not French style and date from when swords were factory made.

ThomasPowers  Posted August 21, 2020

Postman mentions having seen  3 Hill anvils  with I?, Hill, Birmingham on them.  At least one did not have a pritchel and so was probably pre-1830.

I found this so I guess there are at least 4 now.

The anvils look to be in pretty decent shape you should be able to sell them in your area fairly easily at $4 a pound. The champion blower without a stand or forge wouldn’t bring much in my area maybe $40 on the high end. That being said  you may find  a blacksmith in the Dallas Fort Worth area that’s willing to pay more for it. 

On 3/8/2021 at 5:23 PM, Dan N said:

In dfw area in Texas.

Welcome to IFI... We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it, so members don't have to ask you or scroll up to find it. From the pictures I've seen so far you definitely have some items that most blacksmith's will be interested in. There are some members here in the DFW area, if I were closer I'd probably help ya dig stuff out.:) From the picture with both anvils the blower looks like a Champion 400 and we are always looking for them, even if it's only for spare parts to rebuild one.