I Forge Iron

My Attempt at repousse

Rojo Pedro

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were the model the bear would've been partially eclipsed by my plump rump. 

Altoid and cookie tins are deep draw steel about as soft as steel gets. It moves even when it work hardens but it'll tear, crack or punch through you can hear it hardening more easily than feel it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I will try some.  I could start to feel the copper harden as I worked it.

One thing I didnt show was the torch I brought to anneal them. I annealed them 4 or 5 times each and discovered I could get finer details after it hardened. I must have done it right as I had no tears. 

Its pretty hefty gauge though. Maybe 18 or 20 I think

No Sir. Propane and a plumbers torch. It  doesnt take much apparently. I didnt really need to get it glowing hot, pretty much when it turned dark purple - gray it was soft with or without quenching in water. 

i am going to make some little micro chisels this weekend for detail work.cant wait.

repousse is very fun but its not forging  and I love to smash

Red, Concrete nails make very good small chisels and tools.  They are reasonably high carbon and harden and temper nicely.  Use the longer ones if you are going to use them on hot stuff to keep your fingers away from the hot metal.  If you are making a small chisel carry the flattening up the shaft so that you can easily index the orientation of the chisel edge.  If you leave the shaft round it is easy to have the edge turned a bit away from what you want.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 10 months later...

I have not but thanks for asking. I keep wanting to but I find that I would rather use my limited time forging. 

You have inspired my to go grab my kit and see how long I can get away with in front of the tv

How about you?  I love your steel sculptures. 

I just bought a cheapo Roku tv for watching documentaries and film noir.  All you need is a wifi signal.  Probably better off without it.....  No need for sleeping pills and snake oil sleeping aids though.  I rarely make it through a movie and it automaticaly shuts down after so long without remote control activity.  Probably functions as an alarm clock as well, idk....

I remember the set we had.  It had rabbit ears with aluminum foil wrapped around them.  It would start scrolling on it's own and dad had to slap the sides of it to make it stop.  He was prone to cussing when it happened.  Especially if there was a rhino chase on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

15 hours ago, Nodebt said:

remember the set we had.  It had rabbit ears with aluminum foil wrapped around them.  It would start scrolling on it's own and dad had to slap the sides of it to make it stop

At my first apartment I had a floor model Trinitron that had sound but no picture with a small TV sitting on top that had picture but no sound:lol: At that same apartment it was so cold in the winter that I had to put my beer in the refrigerator so it wouldn't freeze if I left it sitting out. 

Pnut

It synched up pretty good. We didn't watch much TV there truthfully.  It was a pretty epic apartment for a bunch of teenagers. The building it was in used to be a warehouse and a Boys Club at one point. My bathroom was a locker room. We built a half pipe and a stage in the big "living" room. I had a pretty good time there. I wouldn't want to live like that again but I'm glad I got the chance to do it while I was young. 

Pnut

That sounds like good times for a young guy, I would've loved it for a while. how many of you were living there. . . Officially. 

In my youth we probably would've laid out a go cart track and planted a lawn in the living room next to the beach. I've wanted a lawn for a living room carpet for I don't know how long, since the mid 60s anyway. 

How about drone races? 

Have any pictures? I'd like to believe you but . . . You  know how it is here. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures that were taken from that time in my life. I've lost everything I've owned a couple times. Looking back things are pretty hazy. It might very well have been a dream:lol:. There were four of us actually paying rent but sometimes there'd be as many as twenty people "hanging out" for a few days to a few months. The building was eventually condemned and we had to get out. We had the third floor all to ourselves. There was even a freight elevator. I'd love to have access to a space like that now.  We lovingly referred to the place as "Third Floor H*ll" I still use the address as a pin number. 

Pnut

2 hours ago, pnut said:

but sometimes there'd be as many as twenty people "hanging out" for a few days to a few months. 

Pnut

I had an apartment just like that just out of high school.  

"Hey everybody let's go to Scott's!"

I put my foot down, but they just kept coming.  And nobody ever pitched in for delivery pizza.  I moved.