I Forge Iron

My Attempt at repousse

Rojo Pedro

If I were the model the bear would've been partially eclipsed by my plump rump. 

Altoid and cookie tins are deep draw steel about as soft as steel gets. It moves even when it work hardens but it'll tear, crack or punch through you can hear it hardening more easily than feel it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I will try some.  I could start to feel the copper harden as I worked it.

One thing I didnt show was the torch I brought to anneal them. I annealed them 4 or 5 times each and discovered I could get finer details after it hardened. I must have done it right as I had no tears. 

Its pretty hefty gauge though. Maybe 18 or 20 I think

No Sir. Propane and a plumbers torch. It  doesnt take much apparently. I didnt really need to get it glowing hot, pretty much when it turned dark purple - gray it was soft with or without quenching in water. 

i am going to make some little micro chisels this weekend for detail work.cant wait.

repousse is very fun but its not forging  and I love to smash

Red, Concrete nails make very good small chisels and tools.  They are reasonably high carbon and harden and temper nicely.  Use the longer ones if you are going to use them on hot stuff to keep your fingers away from the hot metal.  If you are making a small chisel carry the flattening up the shaft so that you can easily index the orientation of the chisel edge.  If you leave the shaft round it is easy to have the edge turned a bit away from what you want.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks George. I have a few big ones that i’ll try. I also have a bunch of garage door spring in 1/4” and 3/16”.

All my little tools are made from the 1/4” quenched in oil and 2 trips through 450 degree toaster oven

Great concept you have there, Rojo.  I might use that idea someday, if I may.   Maybe add a hinged port hole cover, open to the side.  A very nice gift!