I Forge Iron

Opinions on an anvil I’m interested in buying

I’m looking into this hay budden anvil it’s 145 pounds but it costs $675, I’m located in Massachusetts and it seems most anvils go from 400-600 but usually have extremely bad face chipping. I would be upgrading from a rail road track anvil and was wondering if this anvil would be worth the investment.

dtwx2oO.jpg

Looks like a very nice 1907 HB. Did you check the ring and rebound?

I can't tell you if it is a good investment or not, $675 is a chunk of money. If it rings, and the rebound is good, it is a nice looking anvil, of a good size, made by a respected maker. If you use it for 10 years, it is $67.50 a year rent.

Hope it works out for you.

It's a nice anvil but you will have to make the financial decision about whether it is worth it.  $675 means a certain amount to you dependent on your own situation which will be different anyone else.  To some people it is more disposable income than they have ever seen or hope to and for others it is walking around money.  Where you fall on that scale is your personal decision.

If I needed an anvil and this was an upgrade I would swallow hard, explain the debit to the account to my wife, and pull the trigger.

Let us know what you do.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

Round by me that is the going rate (or slightly below) for a top quality anvil in great condition.  Keep it that way and even if you don't decide to stay in smithing you likely won't lose much on resale.  It certainly isn't a steal, but Hay Budden are very highly rated anvils.

At $4.65 US per pound that is about the top of the price scale. How are you at haggling? If it passed the ring & rebound test, I would offer $500 and have cash in hand. If the rest of the anvil looks as good as your pictures, I might be tempted to pay the sellers price. Just remember Hay Budden's in that condition don't last very long on the market.

BTW we won't remember you are in MA once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to put your location in your profile.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, as for the ring and rebound test the fellow told me it went well with a steel ball bearing but I’ll be testing it myself tomorrow. As for the investment I currently am in the position while the price is a bit of a financial hit I’m not in a position where it would cause me to miss any payments, just tighten my budget a bit when I comes to eating out. I believe this to be a worthy upgrade because I wish to get deeper into the craft to the point where the hardy hole and Pritchel hole will be good investments. During my few years checking through various selling websites in my area this is by far the best quality for a reasonable price. Looking at you sellers who think a chipped to hell 100# Peter Wright is worth $1200. As for haggling the price has been worked down from 750.

I also forget if I’ve mentioned this but my current anvil is a piece of RR track a buddy of mine cut the front into a scuffed point as a “horn” it’ll do but I feel I would be remiss to let this anvil slip by if my past hunts have taught me anything

Blue,

I am of the opinion that if you want it, and can afford it, go for it. Is it a screaming hot deal, probably not, but most of us seem to miss the "OH MY" deals and do with what we get. I do get buyers remorse at times, but I could have spent my tool money on beer and pizza(and flushed it away the next day). I still have most of the "over priced" stuff I have bought over the years, and most of it costs more than I paid to replace.

$ 6.75 a year if you use it for a hundred years. (Gotta sign up for the long term agreement..... )

Do what feels right.

If you get the anvil, use the rent to own system, that is to charge your self rent every time you use the anvil.  At $1 a day you will pay for the anvil in under 2 years.

If you pass on the high dollar cup of coffee, put that money toward the anvil.  Trim your spending when you get a chance and put that money toward the anvil.  If you sell something made on the anvil, put that money toward the anvil. If it is a gift, put the equivalent money toward the anvil.  Do not count the money you put aside for the anvil for a year.  Remember you are paying rent to use the anvil.

That size anvil is a one time expense and a lifetime investment that you can then pass on to others.

Rent to own link.

Blue Whale, congratulations on getting a choice anvil.  You know, a fair price is one that both the buyer and seller are SATISFIED with.  If you are happy, and you seem to be, then don't regret the purchase or the cost...just enjoy the heck out of your new anvil and forge ahead on a new adventure!

19 hours ago, Blue Whale Smithing said:

The mounted anvil

Looks very good to me, I would have done the same thing, grab it before someone else does. Now I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face. A wire brush on an angle grinder is OK, to take off the rust and a coating of BLO or paste wax will keep it from rusting and retain the nice patina.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:05 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Looks very good to me, I would have done the same thing, grab it before someone else does. Now I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face. A wire brush on an angle grinder is OK, to take off the rust and a coating of BLO or paste wax will keep it from rusting and retain the nice patina.

That was the plan, my beat up old angle grinder seems to have passed away so ones coming in the mail but upon its arrival I’ll be removing the body rust and applying the blo and then I’ll probably just forge until the face of the anvil is clean. I’ve got lots of tongs and other assorted tools to make anyhow!

Just make sure you use the wire cup brush with the angle grinder and not anything abrasive that will remove metal.  It doesn't need to be nice and shiny metal.  The wire brush will help you retain a nice patina on it in the chocolate or dark gray color range.  I wiped 5W 30 motor oil on mine and I wipe it down periodically.  I haven't seen a bit of rust, so BLO isn't the only thing you can use on them.  Good luck