I Forge Iron

Hi new guy from Wisconsin

Tooln

Hey everybody I just signed up.  A little about myself.  I was born and raised on a farm and have been turning wrenches my entire life.  Farming wasn't for me so I did a stint on construction and the some metal fab shops.  Moved into the dairy/cheese/butter industry for over 30 years as a lead mechanic.  I'm a card carrying journeymen recently retired.  I love welding and looking to get into forging.  I don't yet have a forge but looking at options build vs buy.  Also looking to learn hoping to do it here.  Anyone else from WI hang here?  Later guys

Good Mornin' Tooln,

The Basic's; something to do; something to heat with; something to hold hot stuff; something to hit hot stuff on, something to hit hot stuff with. There are many names of things that can be used, but the basic's are still the basic's. You don't NEED a Forge, if you have a good wood fire. You may have more control in a Forge, but you also have good control with a Rosebud. All I am suggesting is, don't paint yourself into a corner with 'Gotta Have's'. Use what you already have, you can make everything else.

Welcome to this wurld!! If you put your locale in your Avatar, there probably is a group near you. Gain help locally, hands on is better than fingers on keyboard.

Neil

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

What do you plan to forge and what fuel are you planning to use?

I plan to use gas and start just heating and pounding.  Maybe some coat hooks or something small.  Then try my hand at a knife.

Sounds like a plan. You'll find all the info you need here to build a propane forge and proven burner designs like the Frosty T burner. 

There are good pre built forges out there too. Don't skip the safety section here. The more informed you are the easier thing go, and the more you'll know what you are looking for or looking at. 

Welcome aboard!

If you are looking at build vs buy ideas for various things to get started you might want to look at some of these threads:

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52308-a-collection-of-improvised-anvils/

You don't need a nice pretty anvil that looks like something that was dropped on Wile E. Coyote's head.  I'm using a slab of pig iron

I'm new here to and these guys are a great source of information.

There's a great ABANA affiliate up that way full of folks who can teach and point you toward local resources; check out Upper Midwest Blacksmith Association; of course most hands on stuff is on hold right now; but you may be able to find a smith close to you to chat with over the net!