I Forge Iron

Milling machine id?

Can't tell much from the pic but it LOOKS like a knee mill. I'd be concerned about the electrical requirement or do you have 3 phase available?

There're a number of things that don't say vertical mill to me, like the plumbing: valve and pipe, behind the head. On the other hand a "wet" mill isn't a strange machine. 

How good a deal is it and does it work? I wouldn't make the drive if the seller isn't willing or able to plug it in and turn it on.

Frosty The Lucky.

The head doesn't look adjustable to me, so I was guessing knee mill as well.  I could definitely use some education here, I don't know much about mills but would like to add a small one to my shop and learn.    

The seller is looking to see if she can get me more photos and the make/model, and I think I could probably get it for around $500.  I don't currently have 3-phase power, but if the price is right I could make that happen too.

Also very important, what is the state of the bed (i believe that is how you guys call the moving part where you place the workpiece) and the gearing. If there is play in the bed it is pretty useless (unless you like fixing that kind of stuff)

Something to also consider, just to be THAT guy. I doubt this thing has any form of safety on it (emergency stop, safety screen, etc.), is that really the kind of machine you want? 

She said there's a box of bits for the mill, so I'm hopeful there. 

I will definitely do a close inspection of the entire machine before I decide to buy it or not.  Thank you for the concern about older machines not having the safety precautions of newer machines.  I'm THAT OTHER guy, though, and I definitely prefer the older machines.  I promise I'm always extremely careful, though. :)

Good Morning,

The purchase price is the least expensive part of any machinery. The accessories/Tooling availability is where the cost comes in. That being said, for $500.00 it probably is a good machine to learn on. The limit is between your ears, what would you like it to do? How can I make the Tooling to do that? A Milling Machine is a stationary (kind of) cutter, with a moveable work piece.

Neil

17 minutes ago, Mike Flynn said:

I'm THAT OTHER guy, though, and I definitely prefer the older machines.  I promise I'm always extremely careful, though. :)

Dont get me wrong, I love old machines. But working without that big red button is something that gets me the heebie jeebies.

• 2 weeks later...

1, It is a knee mill, no question.

2. It has a vertical milling adapter. 

3. Most mills have some wear on the feed screws, this doesn't however affect one's ability to do accurate work, you must merely be aware of the backlash and use the gib tighteners appropriately. 

4. No idea of the brand, best guess is a Van Norman but there were many other horizontal mills, 

5. A 3 phase motor can be replaced with a single phase motor.

5. My concerns are; A. The spindle bearings. If they are worn walk away.

B. The collets.(tool holders) some are very rare, hard to find or expensive. There were many different styles. If it comes with a complete set or if they are common such as R-8s for example then fine. Otherwise it may be mostly useless. 

If it runs ok that is a pretty fair price.

• 2 months later...

It looks stout as anything. Probably a nmtb taper which is a pain, honestly anything other than r-8 is a pain. That is not reason enough to pass on a machine, oddball tapers can be located, it just causes some aggravation. Three phase is actually pretty easy to work around. More than likely it will have wear in the ways and screws but since it is going into home use it would have to be really bad to be a deal killer. It looks like a good starter mill. I am curious what it is- that photo is pretty rough.