I Forge Iron

horn or not to horn

I have a block of hardend 537 steel I'm using for a anvil. I want to put a horn on it. I've never welded that type of steel and I don't want to ruin the temper of the anvil. its pretty massive, about 400 lbs, and has a 14x5 in face. I also have a piece of 4in round about 12 inches long im gonna grind into a horn. Now my question is, will it work? If anyone has any suggestions please, I'm willing. Oh yeah its about 20in high

20201030_171348.jpg

I agree with Glenn.  If you need a curved surface use a separate implement, a stake anvil, a round piece of stock held in a vice, a cone set vertically or horizontally, etc..  I think it would be a mistake to weld anything onto what you already have.  Do not think that "real" anvils have to have horns.  Smiths for thousands of years used anvils similar to yours and did just fine.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

If you have the capability/equipment to weld a horn to that block it would seem to me that you also have a chance to build rig for horn work. A double horn stake anvil arrangement out of the 4” round stock could look awesome, and not chance the heat treat on your big rectangle. My thoughts no knowing your set up. 

yeah I'm thinking about attaching it to my striking anvil. I have a piece of 2 in plate thats 6x14 I'm gonna put a hardy and pritchel hole in (don't think I can put one in the big anvil). I have a piece of rr track I'm now thinking of using for my horn. If someone is interested in that 4in  round stock I have and lives in Washington state. They can have it for free. not sure how much it weighs I guess there's a formula on the internet.