I Forge Iron

Coal forge

Justin Topp

No cracks in the body according to the seller! First order of business will be claying it up for sure. I only have this one picture but it definitely looks to be a Canedy Otto blower to me. Based on the shape at least. I’ll post an update on what it is when I receive it. The forge table is 2x3 foot. So I shouldn’t have to worry about everything falling off now like I do on my rivet forge that is 18 inch diameter.  Excited about the table more than anything else. And having a larger fire compared to the rivet forge 

I had a table like that 30+ years ago, rusted out firepot. I dropped in a PTO cover which didn't last long and then found the Axle covers from a appx 1937 Banjo rear end, they had been made into jack stands and I bought them for US$3 at a fleamarket.  Been using the first one 30 years now and have the second one as backup.  My table cracked badly and I finally went went to a constructed steel table to hold the firepot.  Much lighter to travel with and doesn't break under abusive conditions. (Like some idjit pouring water on hot cast iron!  I think that was the incident when I went out and bought the "No Tools Loaned" skull and cross bones stickers...)

You don't need to clay inside the fire pot, just the forge body. Clay it a little higher than the lowest point on the cutout. You can almost see the old clay line. Make it high enough so you have a level length about 4"-5" long.  That way you have a level support for your iron that is not in the fire pot and long pieces won't sag. And you can get ~ 4-5 pieces of half square centered in the fire pot at once. Lol, you can have too many irons in the fire, but it's just as bad to not be able to get enough in as well.

That solves that! Thank you very much!

something interesting I’ve found is the blowe was probably a later addition. The forge perfectly matches a CO forge that was one of the style that had a lever instead of a hand crank. The blowers air connection appears to be homemade. 

Well I had my first fire in it today. And this thing is a huge improvement over the rivet forge I was using. The fire pot is great. Clinker doesn’t fuse on the cast iron like it did on the cement in my rivet forge. Not one piece of fuel has fallen. Where I dropped tons of fuel on the rivet forge. And the table is wonderful so my tools aren’t just scattered on the floor or in the water bucket where they used to fall. Need to get a bigger electric motor to properly burn anthracite. My larger CO blower is the only thing with enough air 

4A218230-398A-4D71-8E6F-4D7D07234809.jpeg

9842EB1F-E62F-42FA-A420-853EBD85325E.jpeg

Most devices from this age were made to be pretty interchangeable. It doesn't really matter what the picture in an ad showed: lever, treadle, etc. pump or hand crank, recuperative stack turbine driven blower, bellows, or an Emu flapping it's wings at a funnel. An air blast is what counts.

You have a perfectly blacksmitherly set up. Good job. Enjoy.

Frosty the Lucky

• 3 weeks later...