I Forge Iron

Hot cut hardie

On 11/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I have them stop close to being through and bend it off with another pair of tongs.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, M.G. said:

Ive seen the bend break to finish cuts as well.

Another good (if less dramatic) option is to cut almost all the way through, put the piece being cut off on the anvil right up against the hardy, pin it down with your hammer, and give the parent stock a little twirl to twist it off.

Most of the really toxic metals aren't common steel alloying agents but with tig welding used to join some of the strangest alloys it wouldn't hurt to ask the welding supply and make sure. When I wrote that originally I suddenly got a vision of beryllium copper and bronze alloys and a few exotics containing cadmium. Just ask and make sure.

There are a couple easy join options: drill and silver braze into the handle or drill through the handle and pein the end. Both want a pretty close hole if it's too tight warm the handle to maybe 300-400 f. 

My GOODNESS JOHN! This is a public forum and here you are suggesting giving a parent a little twirl! :o Have you no shame sir?!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty. Just a bit of curiosity about the toxic alloys. Ill definitely ask for sure. 

I was thinking peined over tenon. But I was also thinking about ways to lock the screw in place in the handle to keep it from twisting. Ie. A square or slotted hole and tenon. 

You clean the parts to be joined, very very clean. Then you heat to about cherry red, take a fast pass with the scale brush, and add copper, brass, bronze, or whatever you're joining it with.  You can use other non-ferrous metals, but copper or brass works fine is tough, and takes some heat.  You will likely want to wire it together before the initial heat so that they're held in place together.  Anywho, rambling a bit.  Add your non-ferrous metal, a bit of flattened pipe, wire, or brazing rod, and put it back in the fire until it melts and joins the pieces.

I've seen it done with brass powder, but never tried it. And you may want borax as a flux, copper oxidizes easily when it's hot and doesn't like to flow.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or my technique is off, I've done it a few times, but I did more forge welding than brazing, and no brazing in a few years.