I Forge Iron

When it rains...

Been seeking an additional anvil for...over a year now?

First anvil was given to me by a good neighbor. 75lb Columbia. Been working with that since.

Budget is mighty low. Front Range Colorado is filthy with over priced "antiques". So buying one of those at about $10 a lb was out of the question.

Suddenly today a guy I talked to about a year ago is liquidating his families garage tools and he called me because I had expressed interest once upon a time.

Well, I walked away with this collection for $350. Looks like a Fisher 200lb, A Trenton 75(ish)lb, and a vice that is either missing it's leg, or is a bench vice?

I believe the Fisher endured a barn fire and maybe has 50% rebound and little to no ring, but still seems serviceable. The Trenton appears to be more or less new. The vice has good looking jaws and a well maintained screw.

Still a fairly new smith and buyer of smithing tools. Does this lot look good to you folks? Any advice on what to do with that Fisher in terms of servicing?

IMG_20200910_123001.jpg

IMG_20200910_133346.jpg

IMG_20200910_133235.jpg

IMG_20200910_133145.jpg

IMG_20200910_132537.jpg

IMG_20200910_133105.jpg

IMG_20200910_123111.jpg

IMG_20200910_123103.jpg

IMG_20200910_123202.jpg

Looks like a fair amount of rust on the fisher and that could interfere with the rebound. Clean the face up real good with a wire brush and test it again. If the result doesn’t change you not out anything but a few minutes of cleaning. Honestly, it should still work as well as an improvised anvil and if you can avoid dinging it up too badly, it should work harden over time...

With today’s prices you did good!

David

That's very interesting about the Fisher thunk. Thanks for the info all.

Also, Thomas, thanks for the heads up on the "collectibility" of that wagon tongue. I'll have to put it out there and see what happens.

51 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

What leads you to believe the Fisher was in a fire? They are very quiet anvils to begin with. I believe the vise is a wagon mount. I would say you did well at $350 U.S.

Well, the stump it was on when I bought it was charred fairly well though still intact. There also appears to be some blacked spots on the base. However, when I asked the owner before purchasing, he said it was "Fire adjacent". haha. Pics of it on the stump attached.

I've already mounted the Fisher, which turns out is 100lbs. Made a few leaves and hooks on it. Wow, what a change from my 75lb Columbia. WOuld not have imagined 25lbs would make that much difference.

One last thing, Does anyone know what the foot of the Fisher are? Four marks, a U mark and two more marks?

burn1.jpg

burn2.jpg

Ah sorry folks. Mis-typed last post. The Fisher is the 200lb and I have mounted the Trenton which is 100lb. It seems nearly new. Very clean all around. One interesting thing about it is this strange border around the face. Does anyone know what this is?

IMG_20200910_150712.jpg

IMG_20200910_150720.jpg

Tried to repair it with high nickle rod.  I hope they did a proper preheat so you don't have a brittle zone in the HAZ!

(Such "repairs"? really drops the price for me as you can't tell if they did it right or not.  The high Ni rod makes you wonder if they knew anything about welding on anvils.)

It really looks like the person who did that Thought an anvil is better with sharp edges. With experience you'll find different radiused edges are actually beneficial. 

Don't worry too much about it, it's still a very usable anvil. Just try not to misstrike on the edges. 

Got the brush to the big Fisher this morning. Here on some shots of the face. Lots of chipping here. Still serviceable I feel, but like my 75lb Columbia, not much to work with in terms of edges. Any input on this one?

IMG_20200911_112415.jpg

IMG_20200911_112404.jpg

IMG_20200911_112412.jpg

Truthfully, mostly bummed about that big chip out of the nearside where a lot of my work gets done as an amateur. My Columbia has that same chipping pattern.