I Forge Iron

Old anvil of somewhat unusual form

I guess I should have said door stop for the shop's man door.:o Ya can see it to the left of the door.:D I know some of us need visual aids.:ph34r:

100_1890.thumb.JPG.045cd8687808b6994bcebc3fa31d3c1b.JPG

BTW...the concrete blocks the Hay Budden is sitting on was temporary, while I carved the stump, over to the left off the pad to mount it on.

57 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Ahh the good old days--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMnKNHNfznE

Was that actually intended as a serious suggestion?

On the anvil side, I like the "Airhead Anvil" or AA for short ... if it wasn't already taken that is

I would turn the AA anvil into a book stand and place a bible on it, then sell it to a marriage celebrant. :)

19 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

Was that actually intended as a serious suggestion?

We had duck and cover drills at random weekly in school, that very civil defense warning was played regularly on TV and at the beginning, intermission and end of movies in theaters, 9:00am every Friday was the air raid siren test. Duck and cover drills were signaled with the school bell ringing in a pattern, IIRC  about 1/2 second, space, 1/2 second, space, etc for maybe 20-30 seconds.

So, no that video wasn't a "suggestion," it was about the only chance you had in a nuclear attack and was developed during open air atomic tests. This was daily normal stuff during the height of the cold war and became almost hourly during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

It's good to see it again, especially during these trying days. It shows that even the most frightening of times can improve.

Frosty The Lucky. 

During most of the 1960's I lived just outside Washington DC and we were trained to "duck and cover".  I remember waking up in the middle of the night hearing jets going overhead and wondering if WWIII had started.  My neighborhood had a lot of Pentagon staff living in it, especially Nuclear Sub ones for some reason.  Of course we were most likely to be in the total destruction zone...My comment about the "good old days" was a bit barbed...

I remember a mass Polio vaccine event too; it was a follow up with a drop of pink solution on a sugar cube. So the live one.  My smallpox vaccination scar has pretty much faded from view though.  "Living Memory"!

My dad got stationed in DC after the Vietnam war. 70'? maybe 71'? Also 2 of my grandparents are buried at Arlington cemetery, in the same grave. 

I had my heart ripped out in DC. We went for a visit when i was a teenager, just after they built the Vietnam memorial. My dad, with the exception of my granddad, was the bravest, strongest man in the world. I saw him, among a few other vets, sobbing tears of grief at the names of those they lost over there. There is nothing that can convey the feelings of seeing a soldier cry. 

I graduated HighSchool in 1975 and only much later learned how much my Parents were sweating over if the Vietnam war would still be going on when I was draftable.

Back to the original item:  Use that vise/anvil piece and forge a hermit crab to fit in the hollow!

I graduated in 70 and was in the last draft lottery. I'd enrolled in college on my Mother's insistence hoping I wouldn't go to war. I was too young and stupid to think it could happen to me. What me worry Mother? Turned out "The Lucky" has been following me my whole life. They drafted the 1- 60 and my number was 311.

Yeah, what to do with the vise/anvil, anvil/vise, Anvise? Anvilse? Anvisle? Oh yeah, climb out of that rabbit hole, back on track. Let's see, put scary: spider or insect crab legs spreading fro under it, a couple scary googly eyes and a little RV car in the cavity so you can chase folks with it. 

RV anvise car with a Marvin the Martian bobble head sticking out of the hardy hole? 

Frosty The Lucky.