I Forge Iron

"Kid smiths" Count... How many of us are on Iforge?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm so can i be an honorary kid-smith member too? i'm 18 yrs old, but i origionally started when i was 13. and have gone up ever since.

it's really great how many young adults we have on this forum. Without beginners, who would all these old xxxxx teach thier craft too?

i recently had a group of around 12 4th graders out to my shop for a day. wow. what a headache! but i think they really enjoyed it... i let them all forge a small knife. one person at a time. then at the end of the day, i presented it to the teacher. and once the day was complete i gave a wooden replica short sword to all the kids who came.

quite the fun day. i think alot of the younger generation will make an impact on blacksmithing, but for now, they need people who can take them under thier wing and teach them what to do with a bar of steel.

thats where i would like to thank everyone here for the outstanding help they have been in my path to becoming a blacksmith. Without your help and support i would have never been able to do half the things i can now.
i appreciate everyone here, and the administrators who keep this site online.

Thank You!

M
Andy
D

the MAD Dwarf Workshop

That would make us all "Teensmiths" as i don't know of any -13 "kid smiths" on iforge.
Teensmith might actually be better as one of us is named "kidsmith" Shame i cant put a face to these names... You said you name was Colton? have you ever been to hales chapel in Zebulon?

edit: j4jiron is 8. Making him the youngest that has posted

Edited by Golden_eagle

Nice web site Andy!

Excellent shop as well, well laid out and frighteningly neat. Only one thing I see wrong in the picture of forging going on in front of Mad Forge. Where are the safety glasses!?! If I lived close enough I'd slap ya! (probably get my butt kicked afterwards but. . .) You do NOT want hot slag or anything else in your eyes. You are NOT immortal!

I love the haman on the smith's twist handle knife. Nice blades all round. I think you guys will do well if you can avoid blinding yourselves first.

Seriously, safety glasses (your eyes) are too important to rationalize away. Forget the old and stupid argument that they didn't use them in the old days. In the old days the smith usually retired when s/he lost the first eye and sure as fire hurts when the second one went.

Odin one eye lost the other at the forge.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty
Some sentences should make sense occasionally.

Andy, I'll second Frosty on the compliment of your web-site and your craftmenship, both are very nice. Your swords are very nice and the quality looks very good, as good as it can with out actually holding them.
Are you pursueing this as your full time career? if so you seem to be off to a great start, especially at 19 yrs old.

welder19

my name is larry harley
and i,m the youth coordinator for the american bladesmith society
it does my ol heart good to see u all here

last mo i just finished a training session w 15 kids for 3 days at smokey mtn knife works
they made 50 GOOD blades in all
it was awsome weekend
id like to envite u all next yr
also if any r close u r welcome to my shop
i,m NOT a blacksmith
i,m a BLADESMITH so thats what i teach
if any of u ever have any questions or need some help call or send an email
harley

Hey larry ,
I was there. If ya wanna see some pics. of it i got some in my gallery , my teacher was Gary Wheeler.
Chris

hey:) its good to see u here
u got any pics of the knives u finished
id also like to get as may pics as u have of the event
email them to me or cd??
harley
p.s.
how do i get to your gallery
p.s.s u are welcome at the shop any time Edited by larry harley

Larry , I`ll email em to you , my knives ain`t finshed yt, I`ve had 3 demos since so I`ve been busy whats your email? Got time get on The bp chat.

mail is info@lonesomepineknives.comsend me pics:0

hill.josh count me as one.. I'm 15and been at it seriously for about a year
and Larry where is your shop/classes at?
i,m in bristol tennessee
i charge 100 a day for lessons
BUT i dont charge for kids:)
any abs function will have me or someone like me teaching kids in the green coal section of the hammerin
where r u??
harley

Larry, that really is a great thing your doing. If i were a bit closer (and maybe younger??) i'd jump on that in a second.

but college calls. and i must go.

but just wanted to let you know, you DO make an impact in every one of those kids lives.

keep up the good work :)