I Forge Iron

Short Spring

ThomasPowers

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term: "Mud"---what's that?

Mud is the natural state of unfrozen soil.  All other is dried mud.

You live on the dry bed  or shore of the Sundance Sea I believe don't you?

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, I wasn't here during the Jurassic; but yes we have exposed sedimentary layers from that period, crinoids, ammonites, etc.

Most of the stuff we are on is fairly recent, (last Ice Age or so),  river deposits of the Rio Grande and Mountain outwash with intrusives and extrusives fairly close.  We qualify as at the boundary of a true desert with 9" of precipitation a year as the average.

Randy; who would ever waste water by making their adobe too wet???  You might as well water the grass!

For us we are just geting sun and in the 60s to 70s every other day and wind the rest of the time. It has rained but not like a lot. That usually comes during the summer and fall for us. Just cant wait for the spring wind season to be over here (which means that it isnt super winy all the time, bug there is no escaping the wind here in southern idaho.

Most of our rain is from scattered thunderstorms during the summer; often exciting to watch; but it means your next door neighbor can get 1/2" of rain and you barely a sprinkle.  When I lived in Ohio we could get a front where the whole state got rain at the same time. I remember one storm when we got 6" of rain in about an hour---which would be 2/3 the annual amount out here!

Now you're just messing with me aren't you Thomas. I only pointed out you live on the DRY MUD of the Sundance seabed, not that you're a denizen of the Jurassic. And what are alluvial deposits other than mud that's settled down? Heck I'll bet plenty of samples would show recycled mud. 

Come on Thomas I'd like to slate one up for you but your arguments aren't for schist. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Schist definition is - a metamorphic crystalline rock that has a closely foliated structure and can be split along approximately parallel planes. a metamorphic crystalline rock that has a closely foliated structure and can be split along approximately parallel planes

39 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Randy; who would ever waste water by making their adobe too wet???  You might as well water the grass!

remember while the flesh belongs to the person, the water belongs to the tribe

I always give my wife her present on Father's day as she is the reason I am a Father.  The kids give her their present on Mother's day.

According to one list the 27th anniversary gift is Music, (29th is tools!)  Another list says Sculptures...got your welder or forge handy?

Ours is Antiques...(Takes one to know one?)

Today started out nice & sunny so I decided to mow (more like brush hogging) but the battery was dead on the zero turn and wouldn't take a charge. Off to the battery place for a replacement. Got it running around 1400 hrs. so I'm merrily zipping around the yard. Got about 3 acres of weeds mowed and it started getting cold and damp feeling. I looked off to the west and a huge thunderhead was brewing. Got the mower secured in the new addition just in time for the wind, lightening and rain to start. It's a beautiful day in the Ozark's.

Rain's good, especially in early spring. Right now the snow is mostly gone, rivers are breaking up, ice jams are flooding low areas but what makes rain a good thing is nothing is greening up yet so there are thousands of sq miles of dry grass, dead leaves and ground cover. Most of Alaska is a tinderbox so any rain is a good thing. 

Where we live in the Matanuska Susitna Valley we almost never hear thunder let alone see lightning. That's just here, we get hundreds of lightning strike fires every season, dry lightning sucks. 

Rain good, wild fire B-A-D.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yup we have been under a Red Flag Warning lately: High Heat, Low Humidity, High Winds: no open burning allowed!  Of course our neighbors burn their trash anyway.  Their business except it contains a LOT of plastic these days and I dislike having to breathe their smoke.  Our house has a steel roof and stucco walls so is good for "minor" range fires.

CGL you got the tail end of the same storm that went through NW AR & SW MO, we had 60 mph winds, driving rain, tornado warnings and a nail biting half hour. Lucky for us it was moving pretty fast and we didn't have any damage just a lot of heavy rain and straight line winds.

Sunny and nice again today. Early Birch is beginning to bud, noticed it this morning. Early Birch is maybe 40' West of the front porch and buds, greens up, shows fall colors about 3 weeks sooner than any other birch around. 

Supposed to rain Friday and clear back up in a day or so. 

Red flag burn ban still in effect.

Frosty The Lucky.