I Forge Iron

Just a log for my design/build.

OzarksBackwoods

Ok so I had a plan for 6x6x18 interior, changed it up and am thinking about 6x5x10 with a 3/4 t to narb. But I want to build 2 of them that I can put together for heat treating larger items. Got my steel and wool, working on getting refractory and wash. Got another thread going on tabcast 94, thinking of using it as my refractory, but with limited info I'm just not sure. It's high alumina so it would make a great floor, I'm thinking.  But with that being said, been around but I know just enough to get myself in trouble. At least I know that much though. Input is welcome, prior military so good/bad/your screwing up doesn't really bother me. It's a learning experience. 

Got the steel cut and welded 3 pieces together. Debating on just lining it as is and making an oversize "plate" to set it all on. I figure both pieces should be 600 in³  total. So 2ea. 3/4 T to NARB should do just about anything I could want to do for this size and not be too much of a gas hog. Gonna go look at refractories some more. What else to do when sleep eludes? 

Being prior military too- that sleep eludes issue rears its ugly head often!

I'm fortunate enough to live far enough out that my neighbors put up with me pretty patiently. Lol.

One thing I can tell you is the guys here love pictures to clarify/better see what you're doing.

Another thing that I forgot to do when building mine was to double the refractory/wool thickness in figuring my build. Started with a 12" dia shell, thinking I'd have a 10" inner diameter with 2" of wool. Ended up with just under an 8" with the refractory cement coating. Just a moment of non-clear thinking in the rush of working....

Good luck brother, and thank you for your oath too.

No pictures yet. But I picked up some zircopax and bentonite today with a 1" kiln shelf. No refractory on hand... bummer.  No rigidizer either, but got told water glass was a good way but I'm not sure it will hold up to forge temps. The supply store was a kiln shop, soo... gonna check around see what I can find on it.

Got my order in. Thank you Glenn for that box of dirt tip. Got one in the works. Old lady is grabbing clay tomorrow while I bid a welding job. My woman wants to build a Cobb rocket kiln, that's why she is willing to dig clay. Walked the tracks today got 40- 50 lbs of spikes and track clips. Couldn't find any track plates. But I can at least start making tongs and whatnot. T-burner works. Can't wait to get the ribbon block cast. 

Ozarks, you're probably going to get a barrage of responses here regarding picking up RR spikes off the railroad right of way...it's definitely ILLEGAL! If you are caught, you will be in deep kimchi.  Not sure on this, but some here with more legal experience have indicated it is a felony.

In general we suggest that people do NOT admit to illegal activities on open forums.  It is best to assume that once you have posted something here it will be viewed by your boss, your next boss, your pastor and your spouse---not to mention your kids if any and grandkids if any...

On 4/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, arkie said:

Not sure on this, but some here with more legal experience have indicated it is a felony.

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is that there is a federal law (49 U.S. Code § 20151) that instructs the Department of Transportation to provide model legislation for trespass and vandalism on railroad rights-of-way. Actual legislation depends on the specific jurisdiction, which could be state, county, or municipal.

For example, here are the Sec. 18c-7503. Trespassing on railroad property of the Illinois Compiled Statues and Chapter 11-36-6 - Trespassing on railroad right-of-way of the Rhode Island General Laws.

Not 100% sure how it works exactly. I misspoke, I was never on railway property. We have land that borders it. Most of these were in our fence line. I'll check into it though.

*I know trying to scrap anything like that is illegal though. But I believe, at that point, it is considered abandoned property. But I'll still find out.

A few years back, I decided that I wanted some RR spikes (must have been a weak moment...).  The closest RR was down in Russelville., AR.  I called their office and inquired about how to get some spikes legally.  The fellow there was very helpful and friendly and thanked me for inquiring before venturing off to do something dumb.  He gave me the address of the shop where he was and told me to come by to get a written and signed permit to obtain spikes.  Next, he told me that they were doing some track repairs and upgrades going through town and to go over there.  He said "show this permit to the foreman, and you can haul off all the spikes you want."  Well, it was an August day, temp about 95 and the RR work was about 1/2 mile from the nearest road.  I told myself, "Me, I ain't about to drag a 5 gal. bucket full of spikes 1/2 mile down a RR track in this weather!!"  I didn't want the spikes that badly.  I thought they might have some piled up at the yard, but didn't.

Found some rr materials, spikes, clips, track plates, in a just yard. Ask the manager about it and he said to stay away from the area.  They belonged to the rr and the rr police has counted everything.  Seems they were building a case against the fellow that was bringing it in as scrap. 

I talked to a fellow at the yard. Got told no walking the road bed but the fence line they weren't worried about. My side of the fence, my spike deal. He even knew where I was talking about. He was on his way out, little gruff, but can't blame him.

* probably just buy them if I need any more, avoid the possible misunderstanding

Ozarks, depending on where you live in AR, there is a scrap dealer in Little Rock who reportedly can sell spikes to the public.  I don't know the name of the place, but one of our blacksmith members lives in LR, and he has gone there on more than one occasion to buy spikes.  He said the pile of spikes is as big as a garage.  If you do, better keep the receipt!

• 1 month later...

Ok y'all. Haven't really been around much. Life hit a hard spot. Jacked up my shoulder a while back. Turns out I pinched a nerve and may have damaged the laborum. Off work for the last couple weeks and getting alot taken care of. Going to pick up the rest of my burner materials today, plenum and mould wood. Can't really do much heavy stuff, but I figure I can get the forge done. Been working on vehicles mostly (thank god for the gofers). Don't have to slam the truck door anymore. Feels like I been lazy long enough.

If you're using Kastolite it takes a LOT of force to mix. You have to kneed it rather than stir and with crushed aggregate the particles do NOT slide past each other easily. Lots of force, lift fold mash down. If you have shoulder pain you might want to promote a gofor to smoosher.

Get well quick, we're pulling for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

My last few batches of Kastolite mixing were done with a 3" stiff putty knife, chopping in the water and then chopping the damp parts together with the dry parts. Worked a LOT better than trying to mix with a stick.

Feel better soon.