I Forge Iron

Bought a Pheer 2x72

Chris C

Been in touch with Jose, of Pheer grinders.  I ordered one of his 2x72 belt grinders today.  Pretty pumped.   Ordered it, a small wheel attachment and set of wheels.  Pretty pumped.  Tired of fighting my little 1x30.  They work, but what a pain in the backside.  This will be a really large step up for me.  Pretty pumped.  Any of you who have a 2x72 know the feeling.   Did I mention I'm pretty pumped??????????  :D

Yup, I know, Thomas.  I've lost more knuckle flesh to 12" disc sanders, 8" belt sanders and even my little 1" belt sander than I care to remember.  I've seen the bone a couple of times in my life.  I figure this 2hp 2x72 will do a grand job of exposing knuckle bones also.   Will definitely be careful but thanks for the advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Received a "Label printed today" notice.  So the new grinder is officially finished and (hopefully) headed my way in a day or so.  Excited.  I've got the motor wired and waiting.  Shaft is mighty hard to turn, but there's no scraping or noise or anything.  Haven't plugged it in yet because I'm waiting on the sander.

23 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

Hard to turn does not sound good

Indeed.  It's been sitting on a shelf for 21 years.  When I took it off the machine it was on, it was running just fine with no problems.  I just needed a single phase 220v motor in it's place.  So I'm "hoping" it'll just stretch it's legs and run fine.  Needless to say, I'll need to try it before I actually mount it to the grinder IFC.

I have a Pheer  grinder.  I remember the day that I first set it up!  Within twenty minutes I had sharpened every dull blade I could find!  I had to shut it off!  What a feeling!  Have you got some belts?  I had used all sorts of cheap and common grinders for many years... the difference STUNNED me!  You are likely to be a very happy guy!  

Well, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to unbox it and immediately start using it.  I've got to get everything wired up first and do some fabrication.  I acquired a motor control that had no case.   So I'm waiting on a box from Amazon.  Then I'll have to figure out how to mount it in the box and keep the control dust-tight..............mount it to a stand...........get it all wired properly and into my motor.  Then I have to design and build a proper dedicated tilting bench for the grinder.  So even when I get the grinder, it might be weeks before I get it all up and running.

Yes, I have belts.  My buddy, David Mooneyham, put me on to a company he buys belts from and made some suggestions.  So I built a wall rack that holds eight different grits of belts.  I'm short on funds, so I bought 1 each of the eight grits I wanted. :D  If I ever get that Chinese Virus stimulus check the gooberment promised, I'll buy some more. 

But as I've mentioned previously, I'm in no rush.  I'd rather do it right and be finished than rush things and screw'em up!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to putting this whole mess together and calling it a blade grinding station.  Down to the point of wiring the whole thing together.  But I'm wondering about task lighting.  I'd think one would want some really bright lighting.............cross-lighting from both left and right so there are no shadows at the point of work.  So what kind of lighting do most of you use for this purpose?

I have several of those around the shop.  Think I even have a couple, new, still in the box.  Just not sure how to mount those in such a way as to stay out of the way of the grinder.  I've been thinking of using focused lights mounted above and to the side of the grinder.  Not on the grinder or table itself.............or a hanging fixture above the grinder.

Thomas, this is the kind of flexible gooseneck light I have in the shop.  This one was my last brand new one in a box.  I have to laugh, the purchase date I'd marked on the unopened box was February 1983!  :D  (see, I AM a "collector" of things I'll someday find a use for!)

20200521_123020-half.jpg

This is a place I'd recommend using LED lights if possible.  Even those battery powered lights which clip to the bill of a hat or something similar can help you get the light where you need it without interfering with your line of sight.  Lamps like the one you showed tend to get hot with incandescent bulbs which can make the inevitable frequent adjustments for lighting uncomfortable.

I bought a flexible gooseneck magnifier with LED lights embedded around the perimeter of the magnifying lens for this purpose.  However, I could never seem to get used to looking through the magnifying lens while trying to grind.  One of these days I may remove the lens and see if looking through the open hole works out ok.

Buzzkill, I've been looking at the LED versions of this concept on-line this last half hour and even though my pocket book suggests using something I already own verses buying something new, I think I agree with you.

SLAG, my little wife swears I'm a hoarder.........while I vehemently disagree. 

You're not a hoarder till you have changed locations and moved stuff you have never used at least 3 times!

Some warmth can come in handy in the winter when grinding and continually wetting the blade to keep the temp low.

Hmm who we really should ask is JPH as he probably does more grinding than most of us put together do!

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

You're not a hoarder till you have changed locations and moved stuff you have never used at least 3 times!

:D

I'm afraid if I ever move, the little wife will be standing in the doorway of my shop with her arms crossed saying "over my dead body". ;)

Back when we first got married it seemed that we moved every year as we were renting places and would upgrade as it became possible.  Moving wasn't that big of a deal.  Then we bought a large 100+ year old house with full basement and attic and lived there for 15 years.  I thought the move from that place was going to kill us! Even though the company handled up to 20K pounds for us.  (But not any smithing equipment or any of my wife's spinning equipment.)  Luckily we've been in this house for 16 years now and the next move will probably only involve a couple of wooden boxes...

Wooden boxes!  That's what I've told my little wife...........although she keeps saying I'm too old to take care of our property.  I'll probably be using a walker to get out to my old For 8N tractor to mow the pastures!   And might need someone to start the chainsaw so I can cut down the next batch of trees, but I'll never toss in the towel voluntarily.  I'm just too danged "young"/stubborn.

Okay, here's the new grinder, on it's bench, at it's resting place in the shop.  Variable motor control is mounted separate from the bench at eye level.  All I've left to do it so replace the cord plug so it matches the wall receptacle and hook up the motor.  Then, of course, I need to take out some life insurance before I throw the switch.  (I'm not known for my expertise in electrical wiring!)

20200521_122912-half.jpg