I Forge Iron

What are you carrying?

671jungle

When camping I also carry a "camp knife" I forged.    Sheath knife,  San mai, with the cutting edge nicholson file. Nice and  light and holds a keen edge.  Simple wooden handle.  Spine is WAY under 1/4"!   It was an experiment in welding up lawnmower control cables; as I wasn't use there was enough steel or C in the billet I did a san mai with the file.  There was one welding flaw from the cable, about 1/8" round spot where the cable disappeared; so it became a use knife. (All my best work belongs to others while I own all my mistakes!)  It's the blade I used to cut a sliver off the titanium eating knife, I also forged and take camping; when some folks were going all Ti crazy---to show them that a plain old file made a better blade.

My wife says I carry way too much.:rolleyes: The tools I never leave home without are a PA63 with spare magazine (goes with the badge & ID), small Craftsman pocket knife which is used the most, an EDI 4 inch blade lock back for heavier cutting & last ditch self defense, a 1/2 inch steel ball bearing for testing anvil rebound and a conversation piece, a bic lighter to start a fire if needed (and yes I'm a smoker), a Mini Maglite flashlight that my keys and small Colt screwdriver are hooked too, a small fold up pair of scissors and last but not least my small worry stone that looks like an alien egg:).

Ruger LC9, much lighter than my 1911, accurate and small. Ruger series CRKT 4" blade, spring assist on my belt loop. (Got a thing for Ruger, even my AR is a Ruger, 1911 is a Springfield however) My granddads Zippo with Masonic emblem and his name on it. I too enjoy a smoke even though the doc says i shouldn't.  A Benji in my boot, just in case i need emergency cash. (dont let the old lady know, please) My wallet, i got it when i was in basic training at Ft. Knox in '90. An ink pen in my shirt pocket. Oh and of course my personal cellular communication device. 

I have a cheap Kershaw all metal assisted opening folder. I was carrying a Damascus bladed lock back but decided I didn't want to lose it. I also carry a small hammer so that the knife isn't the only option if I have to defend myself. Juries tend to look at knives as offensive weapons.  Not allowed to have firearms anymore and my state even has a law that includes muzzleloaders and cap and ball type firearms that isn't included in the federal law. Had to give all of my firearms to my sister. 

Pnut

8 hours ago, Les L said:

S&W 45 shield

Nice pistol. 

6 hours ago, pnut said:

Not allowed to have firearms anymore

That is the day that all mine get lost in the "boating accident" on the Ohio. I would rally love to have an old cap and ball Colt. 

In Ohio they view knives the same way. The law is stupid, i did however find a loop hole in it. A straight razor. Unless it has changed in the past few years. 

The knife i carry though is more for utility work than self defense. Being a mechanic i can not count the number of times i have needed to cut something with one hand in the engine compartment and one hand free. That is what sold me on the assisted open. I can hold what needs cut and just flick it open and cut away. Cant do it with my old Case XX. 

• 1 month later...

Kimber ultra carry II in .45 ACP, two extra mags. I unfortunately lost a nice little benchmade pocket knife my niece bought me for christmas... and I have yet to replace it. Working in a sign shop, I use break off disposable razor knives all the time, so it finds itself in place of the bench made. Sigh...