Sign in to follow this  
rdennett

Barrel making for one

If you had to make a forge welded tube a la Wallace Gusler for a rifle barrel, by yourself and without a power hammer, how would you do it?  The bit I can't figure out is how to insert a mandrel and make a weld without losing the heat.  Also, does anyone know if there is a scarf and what it looks like?

Thanks,

Rob

If you have to ask that question, then that barrel wont be safe to use for anything except looking at

Apprentice to an expert and expect to spend a number of years learning the basics and then getting good at it.

As I recall a pattern welding prodigy got around some of the issues by welding the PW over a monolithic core of good barrel steel and then boring it out.

First question are you wanting to form a muzzleloading/black powder barrel or a cartridge/smokeless powder barrel? If you are wanting a smokeless powder barrel, all bets are off.

Bob Patrick did an article with three methods of forging a gun barrel in the August 2000 issue of Anvil Magazine. If you have a copy you are lucky because the magazine is out of print. But you can subscribe to the online version. Following his instructions and knowing the decades of blacksmithing under Bob's belt, I wouldn't hesitate to fire a gun built with one of his barrels.

Black powder.  To be clear, this isn't a project I am currently working on, it's just something on my bucket list.  I am familiar with The Colonial Gunsmith, first seeing it in the early 80s, and where I first fell in love with blacksmithing.  I finally got ahold of Foxfire 5, but haven't heard about that issue of Anvil. My question is how you would handle welding a barrel without a striker or power hammer.  Does that article cover it?

By the way, I would never get my face near a barrel that hadn't been proofed.

Thanks, 

Rob