I Forge Iron

Vice repair- advice needed

Jon Kerr

1 hour ago, Marc1 said:

It seems that your moving jaw is lower than it should be

Good catch, I didn't see that. The inserts definitely need to be hand fitted. Once you get them close I'd use a mill file to finish it up. 

Pnut

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct distance for the jaws to be parallel at; is the distance you do most of your work at. There is no other magical number.

Now we can tell you what size stuff you should work with and who to marry and what brand of shoes to wear; but that sounds like a lot of work...

Especially since you do have replaceable jaws, having a couple of sets to change out for those few jobs that are way out of the norm might be handy.  I have vices that "true up" at differing  throws and try to remember to use the best one for the project *IFF* it's one that will need a lot of gripping power.  Most of the time it's not much of an issue.

Don't forget to make some jaw spacers too.  In smithing we are often putting longer pieces out at the edges of the jaws so the screw doesn't interfere.  However when you crank it down hard on the work piece it means that the shaft of the jaws get torqued.  A simple fix is to have a set of various sized stock pieces that can be dropped in on the other side to even out the clamping force.  A simple method is to take a series of sq stock in various sizes and about 2-3" long and saw down the middle of one end 3/4 to 1",  then heat and spread into a T.  To use just drop between the open jaws on the side not being used.  The upper sections allow you to pre-set the jaws open without the spacers dropping out.

I like to stamp the size on top and tell the shop apes that I am trying to evolve into hominids to not use one less than 1/8" shy of the work piece.

I'm just a hobbyist too; of course it's been my principle hobby since 1981.  It's funny; but having extra help in the shop can slow things down.  I enjoy the peaceful solitude of thinking over a project by myself even though someone with a sledge is extremely handy at times!   (Why the triphammer has been called "the smart apprentice"---it does exactly what you tell it to do!)

Note that the vice/vise spacers are the most help for smaller vises where you can actually set a twist in the shaft if you are prone to over tighten stuff.

Our local police departments have special groups involved in such spellings: the vice squad!

I'm just aware of some differences in the language.  I recently was greatly annoyed when a crossword puzzle wanted a Spanish word; but didn't seem to realize that RR is a single letter in Spanish.

Yep, English was invented in England, and the many variations are amusing. 

We had an earthquake in New zealand yesterday and there were several fatalities. The NZ PM told us that "People were messing on the island" 

Oh my!

In the post office in Wellington last year, the post office master asked me if I had a 'litter' to post. Can you imagine squishing a litter in an envelope? 

My Scottish neighbour always talks about the roof on his 'hose' . Lost me many times. 

Marc 1,

Permit me to be a pedant.

The ("white") Island, is a volcano, and it erupted yesterday.

The island is privately owned.

21 people were rescued. The death toll is north of 13 people.

Note to  (my), file 'desist from climbing into active volcanos', in the near future.

Regards kiddo, and all the gang.

SLAG.

p.s. Try this news report for more details,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/08/white-island-whakaari-eruption-new-zealand-jacinda-ardern/

Yes, Slag, talking about language and funny pronunciations here Slag ... hello! :)

Climbing into active volcanos was part of the tour courtesy of the cruise ship.

No one was 'messing' :)

Anyway.

Thomas,

have bad news for your crosswords in spanish. The counting of rr, ll, ch, and, ñ as letters in the spanish alphabet (thats better) was dropped some time ago adopting the international standard. Imagine if the french had such urge to name all their funny letters as extra letter of the abc. Oh my!

Conflicting dates are 1998 and 2010. Not sure when.

Not their fault. I went to primary school in a spanish speaking country and was taught the alphabet with the strange additions as extra letters. It looked odd to me even as a kid since I had already learned German and Italian and could write gothic and roman. Must say that German has one funny letter too, the ß, that oddly enough had no capital for a few centuries, only resolved very recently. 

So your friends are right because they remember what they were taught in school. :)

Arriba Arriba ... something you would probably say : Ariba Ariba :)

And when you recite the alphabet in Spanish ch, ll,  ñ and rr are all given their space in the recitation as stand alone letters---at least when I was taught it.

The lack of a capital for German's  ß was a weird one.  I assume a number of us have read the facsimile edition of Moxon's Mechanicks Exercises that still use the f for s inside words.  I find that if I don't fixate on that I can read the text with no problem.

Now where did I leave my copy of "See It And Say It In Linear A"????