I Forge Iron

Anvils, New vs Used

On November 19, 2019 at 4:31 PM, SLAG said:

Vulcan anvils were on the lower quality range of steel topped wrought iron anvils.

I thought Vulcans were cast?  Are you thinking of Arm & Hammer?  Both had a similar logo, but being cast, the Vulcan logo was raised and the Arm & Hammer logo was not. They are great anvils, just not nearly as common as HB, PW, and Mouse Holes. 

And Arm and Hammer anvils are top of the line forged anvils.   Just another bit of knowledge for the anvil cognoscenti.  In general when folks confuse A&H and Vulcan I know it's from ignorance; but I have met a couple trying to scam folks that way too.   I have a friend who's entire shop is equipped with Vulcans; he likes them.  That's OK with me---more of the better anvils for the rest of us!

So after searching high and low and being discouraged by the used market prices.  One guy was at $15/lbs on very nice PW, he said the resale value is greater on these?  Well I don't intend on selling, so what resale value have to do with it.  I pulled the trigger on a new Ridgid Peddinhuas 165, just under $7/lb delivered.  It should be here in a couple of weeks.  My first anvil yes, my last who knows.  I'm guessing this one will last me a lifetime, the boys can fight over it when I'm gone.

Mr. Beef, now that you have crossed the Rubicon, do not look back. Do not think about how much it has cost - I presume that you have paid current market price for a quality tool that I myself, would be proud own, and is close to what my 1906 157# Swedish anvil cost.

It was a lot of money for me, but every nickel is still in that anvil - my hard won money did not go anywhere - all of that cost and value is right there in front of me - not some place else, in that glorious 157# hunk of Swedish Steel.

No more Used Anvil Salesmen for you!

Robert Taylor

I you can post an update when you get the anvil, I am curious what your opinion is on them. I think it was a very good decision. Antique or old anvils are very cheap where I live compared to america, at the highest i have seen it was max 1,50 a pound. So antique anvils are mostly the go to anvils for me. Seen as a new one costs about 5 times as much as most of the old ones

I've never seen a PW go for that much; I've seen folks asking that much but they never sold at that price.

As was previously mentioned: it's a sunk cost and so every piece you make and well on it is going to lower the "equipment costs per item"; so get to using it!

As for your kids fighting over it---want to adopt???????

Good decision Bubba. it's a fine anvil AND it's brand new so you get to put the marks on it, make the edges to suit you, etc. hopefully your kids won't fight over it with weapons they forged on it, that might not be the best karma. :unsure:

When I found my Soderfors I was just breaking into the anvil market in Alaska and was shocked by how few and far between blacksmithing tools are here. I ended up paying about $9.00/lb when I factor in the other tools I got in the deal. Today I could buy new and have it shipped for less but I LOVE that 125 lbs. of cast Swedish steel and Deb has instructions to demand a LOT at the estate sale.

I think I've sold more than enough: coat hooks, fire pokers, flint strikers, etc. at demos to pay for it and it take a lot of  pestering to get me to take on a paying job. I'm a hobbyist and like it. Still, it's not hard to make enough to pay for the hobby, some products are very marketable and good practice.

Frosty The Lucky.