I Forge Iron

Normalizing or Annealing???

Hey there,
Recently we switched from normalizing to annealing for some parts that we manufacture. Normalizing is much easier(of course) and significantly cheaper in our location. We usually soak parts for a half an hour before setting the temperature of the oven to a few thousand Fahrenheit, The hardness will be about 54RC, which can be changed to achieve 45-60RC when tempered again at a few thousand degree Fahrenheit. In the process of annealing heat treatment it is just that the temperature will be much lower. It is just that normalizing is resulting in scaling(looks more like lumps) which otherwise is not present in annealing. The lump does reduce if we reduce the load! We have just started in the forging business and would like to know experts opinion. What are your thoughts on this one?

2 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Not sure if he really wants help or was trying to slide in some free advertising

My guess was that he didn't want help just free advertising since I couldn't decipher a coherent question from the post.

Pnut

Nah, I wouldn't say more sophisticated, he just had a little better than average list of things to say. He was still pretty clueless about what he was saying. I could be wrong though, is THAT more sophisticated? I'm not differing, I just don't get the thought. Maybe I'm too close? I know I've had to hold my gorge over advertising all my life, maybe I'm over sensitive to marketing blather.

Think he'll be back or is he off spamming the rest of the steel world?

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, Toaster said:

The hardness will be about 54RC, which can be changed to achieve 45-60RC when tempered again at a few thousand degree Fahrenheit.

He is so full of it, how can the hardness raise as a result of a tempering cycle? no matter what alloy it is (he doesnt say)

How do they think they can con people that actually do this stuff?

if he returns that is fine, I am happy to teach him.