I Forge Iron

Tinsmith Shears for Hot Cutting

I was given a pretty heavy and long pair of those tinsmith shears that have the ends that will fit in your anvil hardy hole.  I know they are used for sheet metal, but would using them to hot cut thinner metals remove the temper of the shear blades and ruin them for their original purpose.  Has anyone here used them for hot cutting?  I can see them being useful for cutting thinner stock for ornamental work instead of using a chisel.  Just thought I'd ask since most people mistake them for a blacksmith tool.  

Frosty:  I'll take a picture tonight, but these things are dang heavy and over 3 feet long.  Pretty heavy duty.  No doubt I could probably cut cold stock up to something like 1/16 of an inch.   I guessed they were tin cutting shears based on what I found on the internet, but I think they could cut steel as well.  

12 hours ago, MC Hammer said:

Has anyone here used them for hot cutting?

I expect the shear edge on these snips is high carbon steel that has been heat treated.  If used for hot shearing you would most likely ruin the heat treatment, softening the edge and making them less useful for their intended purpose.

JHCC, yes those are the exact shears that were given to me.  Look to be the same size too.  Heavy as heck.  Nice to know I can cut up to 16 Ga sheet metal with them.  I won't use them to hot cut anything.  I feared exactly what Latticino said above and figured I'd ask around and see if anyone used them for hot cutting. Sometimes you can get away with things and usually others will know.  I still like them and the price was right :D 

Definitely don't abuse a set of bench shears by doing hot cuts with them.  A nice large set like that is worth more than most post vises so you'd never want to abuse them.  Build a hot cut specific version as C.R. Stevens mentioned if you really need the tool.

Typically those were not designed for a hardy hole but for a stake plate in a sheet metal shop.  Was just reading a copy of an early PEXTO catalog this morning and they also sold a special holder--basically a large iron ball with square holes in a special bench clamp so that you could have the bench shears held at any angle that suited you.

Blacksmithing Basics for the Homestead by Joe Delaronde.  The picture of the home made hot cut shear is on page 28. I took a picture of it but since I don't own the copyright it violates the TOS.

Pnut

Edited by pnut