I Forge Iron

build a salmon ladder at home in iron tips

hello a friend of mine would like me to build him a gym apparatus a salmon ladder, it is a metal structure on which a bar is hooked and a climb is made, repeatedly hooking the bar to the special support hooks, it would be used for training traction someone could suggest me how to build it and what material to use on the net there are photos without reference measures thankssalmon_ladder_pro_var_0a.png

salmon_ladder_pro_var_0c.png

Good to see you posting again Angiolino, you pose some interesting problems. I miss your style challenges.

This one is mostly a matter of picking what you want to build. I don't mean it's purpose but how you need it built. 

The rendering you posted is made to be reasonably easily taken apart for storage. Or perhaps meant to be shipped and assembled by the user.

Do you want to build it this way? Can you make it more permanently assembled?

This is a pretty straight forward build once we know some details of what your friend needs and wants. I don't recall, do you have a welder? Are you good enough welding to let people not just hang from your welds but literally jump up and down on them?

If it can be a permanent installation then you don't need the red parts or tubing lined with bolt holes on four faces. The drawing shown allows it to be adjusted for height but there are easier ways. 

I need to know more about where and how your friend wants his salmon ladder. Is it a public gym or private? 

Details, I need more details.

Frosty The Lucky.

on the net I have seen some examples seemed scaffolding for construction site, of those homemade were almost all in wood, obviously it is not a structure for public gym but for an acquaintance of mine who has the hobby to train at home, I do not find the right design with the right reference measurements, if I make the hooks too far apart, I risk that when I hook the bar in the trimming phase, it does not grip and therefore you fall ruinously, I would like to know the right distance between the hook and the hook and the right distance between the hooks right proportions, we would like to do it in metal maybe tubular what do you think?I saw one that was attached to a structure called a power rack

Risultati immagini per power rack with pulley rope ropeflexFREE%20PULL-UP%20KIT.1000x1000w.jpg?5f6dfa53e5495cd081e0c2e937567587

CYCLONE%20100.1000x1000w.jpg?eb66c05ec222715f3eab89cfb8078243CYCLONE 100Immagine correlata

Immagine correlataRisultati immagini per power rack salmon ladder better

Possibly you didn't get a chance to look through any of the links from my first post.  Several of them have dimensions, including this one: https://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Salmon-Ladder

Of course I have no idea what the optimum dimensions would be for your friend, or even what he is trying to accomplish other than working out.  If it were me I'd either tabulate the differing dimension from some of the links from my first post, or have your friend go to the gym and measure one that he is happy with.  If he is trying for a copy of an American Ninja Warrior course, I've seen those with dimensions posted as well, but you have to pay for the plans.

There is also a peg version that would be easier to fabricate--basically a punch of holes in a thick hardwood board and you hold a "peg" in each hand moving from hole to hole.  The benefit of those can come when you don't have a lot of height--you can peg up a little and then have horizontal holes to peg across and then back down.  Does about the same thing as the ladder style you mentioned except without the ability to "hop" from location to location.

If it was mine to build, I'd bite the bullet and have the wall fixture part done on a CNC plasma cutter.  It isn't horribly expensive and you will get the shape and consistency needed.  Probably a steel plate on each side forming a wood-beam sandwich.  It could be hand plasma cut with a jig also.  Sometimes it's worth throwing a little money at to save a ton of extra work and gain the extra quality/consistency.

thank you for the valuable advice and clarifications, I evaluated everything and will try to take the right solution, my friend told me that he wanted to find an old scaffolding type scaffolding on which to build the power rack structure and fix the salmon ladder on it and others tools, like the pulley and also use it as a support for the barbell to lift weights on bench thanks, even if you had other ideas to draw inspiration from, I invite you to write thanks again

Tennis Balls on Scaffolding Clamps20151021-1445-175295-56277aea66769-uzlabo-ielu-vingrosanas-un-sportosanas-iespejas.jpg.jpg20151021-1446-175295-56277b1f0fe0d-uzlabo-ielu-vingrosanas-un-sportosanas-iespejas.jpg.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=7058611&d=1403805833attachment.php?attachmentid=8367483&stc=1&d=1468073443attachment.php?attachmentid=8367493&d=1468073722htt

Pipe Squat Rack

Angiolino: Looks like you've taken on quite a project. I think your friend wants you to build him a multiple station gym. 

The salmon ladder could serve more than one purpose, it could also hold bar bells. The clevis on the top cross member of the salmon ladder that holds the safety line is perfect to hold a safety line on the barbell so it can't fall and hit the lifter. Make sense?

How many work out stations does your friend want? If he wants you to build a salmon ladder that attaches to one he plans of buying you'll need to be able to take measurements and find out how to attach it. 

On the other hand if he wants you to build a salmon ladder as a stand alone station there are other issues and lastly if he wants you to build a large frame so he can attach other work stations it's a whole different multiple part problem.

This gets more and more interesting. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'll do what I can Angiolino, I don't have a decent cad program on my machine, I haven't been able to find anything that isn't to loaded with useless junk for me to use. 

I'm hitting the Tutorial I have with Draft sight for another try. I'll let you know if I can't get a drawing of what I'm thinking. I may have to try scanning a hand sketch.  

Frosty The Lucky.