I Forge Iron

55 gallon drumforge

BloodWolf

If you weld the tubing together there will be zinc oxide fumes.  Is this drum cut lengthwise? You only need about 10 inches of the top or bottom to make a forge. A 55 drum cut lengthwise is pretty big. Have you looked through the 55 forge blueprint or any of the other threads about 55 forges?

Pnut

Edited by pnut

No, I haven't gotten quite that far yet. I'm basically rebuilding my shop space right now, and the forge is going to be last because I want to do it right. So right now I'm just gathering info. As far as welding the pipe, I have a mask, eye protection,big shop fan and windows, so fumes shouldn't be too big a problem. And I will take a look at the 55 forge section. Thx

Edited by BloodWolf
Update

Because I was using a busted rivet forge, and it wasn't worth the headache. So I just thought I'd use the 55, that way I have room should I decide to do bigger projects. Besides that, I'm retiring in one year and I plan on spending my retirement at my forge.

The only problem with using galvanized pipe for the stand is welding it. From what you mention, I'd ppe up, grind just the galvy off in the area of the welds and go from there. Long as the mask you mention is a respirator rated to deal with any zinc fumes gou should be fine. 

Welcome aboard BloodWolf, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

You're making a common beginner mistake thinking this is going to be your last forge, it might but it's unlikely. Bearing that common observation in mine I recommend you NOT weld the stand to the barrel so it's easy to replace the barrel.

If possible buy some fittings and screw it together so you don't have to go to the hassle of cutting and grinding to weld pipe at angles, there are tricks but fittings will let you put it together and build a fire sooner. ;) Oh, sidetracked myself I'm pretty ADD and a TBI survivor so I'm long winded and sidetrack easily.

Back to attaching the stand to the barrel I like "floor flanges" you can buy threaded pipe or weld floor flanges and screw, pip rivet or bolt them to whatever. They make nice feet as well. 

If you weld galvy use proper respirator cartridges or mask IF you're clean shaven. A Vaselined beard is okay but a PITA to clean up. Set the fan to blow away from you to draw off smoke. Blowing on you can mess up with the arc and tends to swirl around you and not clear the fumes as well. 

Glenn's 55 forge is a proven design and easy to build, well worth looking at the pics in that subsection of IFI. 

And we LOVE pics so keep us in the loop please. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, I kinda knew it wasn't gonna last forever, (wishful thinking on my part), so I hadn't planned on welding it to the frame. Thanks for the tip on bolting the frame together rather than welding. That alone will minimize some of the vapor issues. Just a side note, I'm a TBI survivor myself, by the skin of my teeth. Cheers, and thanks again

29 minutes ago, BloodWolf said:

I'm a TBI survivor myself, by the skin of my teeth.

Another member of the lucky to be alive club! There are a bunch of us on the Forum, a disturbing number of us can't seem to keep our heads out of the way.

I was almost killed by a Great White. . . birch. I was felling it and it kicked back. I came to what senses I have left in intensive care about 3 weeks later, got to go home almost 3 months later. The medic on the Life Flight visited me in the hospital and he said I flat lined about 3-4 times on the flight in.

Lucky to be here, hence my forum handle.

It's normal to want to make THE whatever when we break into a new craft, trade, etc. I've been trying to curb that tendency for a long time now. Can't seem to do it though, as long as I've been building propane forges I still make them too large for practical use. <sigh> We all do it.

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, BloodWolf said:

I have a 55 gal drum cut in half that I want to use as my forge.

Cut in half which way?  

11 hours ago, BloodWolf said:

I have a mask, eye protection,big shop fan and windows, so fumes shouldn't be too big a problem.

Avoid galvanized metal if you can. If you must work on galvanized metal , do it outside with a BIG fan blowing shoulder to shoulder alone with all the personal protection equipment.  Galvanized metal is not something to take lightly.  Been there and it got me, twice. Do not play the game any more.

So if one cuts the drum in half long way it’s not hard to fill it in to make a 6” fire bowl and a 24x36” table I have considerd it myself. Even using the other half as a cover. If one uses dirt as fill you can teperaraly modify things to make a longer trench if you need a long heat treat fire. 

Welding galvi is never recommended (tho it is done everyday) but water pipe and fitings would work just fine. 

A 55 gallon drum will hold 400 pounds of coal.

Cut as the original 55 Forge, you have a 24 inch diameter forge.  24 inches takes a LOT of fuel and produces a LOT of heat. If you need a large depth, it will take a bunch of fuel and a lot of air to keep the thing going. You plan on forging an anchor?

image.png

If you cut the drum long ways, you have a 3 foot long and 24 inch wide fire box. Multiple air ports and a LOT of fuel to feed this beast.  You could shape the firepot with clay and reduce the amount of fuel needed. 

You have not said what you intend to heat. Something that takes this much heat will be heavy enough to require a crane to move and place into the fire. 

We need more details in order to assist you.