I Forge Iron

Heat resistant drywall-like substance?

I mostly like my dirtbox/brake rotor hybrid forge-on-wheels I recently built, but it’s a bear to try and lift it alone into my truck to take to occasional demonstrations. I’d like to lighten it up some and wondered if there is a plywood or drywall like sheeting that would be resistant to the heat coming from the rim of the brake rotor, any loose coke floating around. FYI, I don’t know welding yet, so that option is out.

I’d like to remove the dirt, use a few firebricks to hold the rotor in place off the box’s wood floor, and have just enough bricks under the sheeting to keep it stable with coal/coke on top of it, flush with the rim of the rotor.  

60CE2A61-F058-4E93-A542-5FFC81F2245F.jpeg

Can you cut a round hole In a piece of sheet metal?  If so cut the hole a bit smaller than the rotor so the rim of the rotor keeps it from slipping through the sheet metal. You could drill pilot holes around the edge of the sheet metal to secure it to the box. 

Pnut

2 hours ago, pnut said:

Can you cut a round hole In a piece of sheet metal?  If so cut the hole a bit smaller than the rotor so the rim of the rotor keeps it from slipping through the sheet metal. You could drill pilot holes around the edge of the sheet metal to secure it to the box. 

Pnut

What would I cut it with? I have a hack saw, but it wouldn’t turn a round shape. I have a dremel with those EZ change-out cut-off discs. 

Chisel and hammer, time to start thinking like a blacksmith ;-). Sharpen the chisel so it has a slight crescent shaped edge, it cuts oh so much beter. Be aware that many chiseles are all to soft and tho easy to sharpen they dull fast. Keep the back dressed. The back can be ground or if it has a long enugh handle you can forge the mushroom back before it gets to bad

Do you have a cold chisel and a hammer? 

I have cut the shifter humps out of 4 speed cars in the wrecking yard with a hammer and chisel. Goes pretty quick with a good sharp chisel.

I see Charles had the same idea at the same time I was typing.

Jig saw, recip saw, torch, plasma cutter, grinder, ..... lots of options

See if you can buy or borrow a substantial jig saw/sabre saw like a Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, etc.... use HSS blades (high speed steel).  I have cut circles in 1/4" mild steel plate that way.  You may need to use a couple of blades, depending on length of cuts.  The Dremel won't make it with the thin discs.  Cold chisel, like others suggested, will work fine.

Touché, to the hammer and chisel comments

:-)

I’m a newbie, for those that don’t know yet.  I haven’t had a need or project that requires cutting sheet metal yet, but I guess now is as good a time as any.  The only chisels I own, so far, are small ones purchased from big box stores that I use to make veins in leaf keychains.  I assume they are not intended for cold usage. I was given a coil spring as a gift. Would that be useful for making one? 

I believe Black Bear Forge has a video or 2 on making them so I’ll look into that, unless there are better video references to watch? 

What gauge sheet metal should I use as the dirt tray replacement? Is the big box store a reasonable place to buy some, or is it going to empty my wallet? 

The jig saws I own are also your average DIY quality, so I don’t know if that’s suitable for metal cutting.  

To cut sheet metal, you just need to make a hacking knife out of whatever you have around, an old heavy,[ as in thick] knife, power hacksaw blade, even an old large flat screw driver, you just mount the sheet securely, and penetrate and cut the sheet along your line by striking the back of the knife with a lightish hammer, just like sawing but instead of going in and out, you just drive the knife along your marked line, you will be surprised how accurate you can get with care.