I Forge Iron

7 1/2" post vise

G George

I bought this 7 & 1/2" vise, it was frozen at the pivot point. I used a car jack to spread the vise open as I was trying to remove the bolt. Little did I know the bolt was broken and broke again as I spread the arms open. When I got it apart there were 2 holes in the pivot foot, and the bolt that was broken had to be persuaded to get out with a big hammer and punch.

So I bought a grade 8 bolt 3/4" x 5" , my problem is I did not get the spring, u-bolt and mounting bracket, and need an original bolt.  I want to sell this vise and wondered if I should fix it, or sell as is. I have a small smithy and do not need a tool of this size. 

any idea of what it's value is.

Thanks for you input, G George

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

Can we see the pivot foot?

I would fix it and clean it up  and ask top dollar for it. I generally buy them without the spring/mounting bracket and get a substantial discount that way.  I once had one where the top of the jaws were badly offset vertically so I heat shrunk and bradded in a plug in the original wallered out hole and redrilled it so the jaws properly met.

The foot, or pivot point with the 2 holes, then with bolt in outer hole, then in inner hole. The holes are not wallered out, 3/4" bolt was same size as original bolt. And should I take a wire wheel on my angle grinder to it and follow with oil??

Thanks, G George

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4534.JPG

Thanks!   I wonder if a previous owner was trying to make the jaw faces meet flat? On postvises they usually only meet at the very top and as the jaw travels on an arc they will be parallel to each other at some distance when they are open.  Changing the pivot point would change that distance.

I'd take it apart, gently wire wheel it and then follow with a light coating of boiled linseed oil except for the bearing sections and those I would lubricate.   Does the square nut fit the new bolt?

they meet flat on both holes, I thought the 2 holes were to work different sizes of metal, but being a newb, I do not know.

Any idea what its worth? I have a guy that says he will make me the missing pieces. 

Fixed what would it bring, like it is what would it bring? I have no clue as most vises are 4", and pricey.

Thank You Sir for your advice!

G George

I'd certainly do the same, though the replaced pivot bolt looks a lot smaller diameter than the one in my "new" 5" vise that I disassembled last night.

In addition to local prices, you also have to consider how long you are willing to wait for a sale.  I'm guessing that if you have it priced, as it stands, in the $100-200 range it will sell quickly.  Anything in excess of $300 and you will likely sit on it a while, unless you get a local smith who just has to have a larger post vise.  Prices on e-bay, and to some extent Craig's List, are way out of whack and certainly don't always reflect actual selling price (on e-bay you need to check the "sold" tab and for Craig's list the price listed is only the upper limit).

Well, I've bought around 20 postvises in the 1990's for US$20-25 apiece in Central Ohio; most 4-5". Then prices began to climb. I bought a couple larger ones for $45 at Quad-State in the 2000-2010 years and a couple of 6" ones in New Mexico for $75 each. (And an outlier: 6.5"---no spring or mounting brackets for $50 at Q-S where they were generally going for $300+, also bought a 3.5" vise that Q-S for $20 as it was *old*, Frank Turley told me he thought it dated before 1800!  I still use it from time to time so it doesn't feel abandoned as old and useless.)

Last Quad-State I went too I bought almost nothing as "bubble pricing" seems to be taking hold there too.  Using TPAAAT I usually avoid such prices and as I tooled up  in cheaper years can coast.  A big help now that I will be unemployed after Friday June 28.  As usual the "No Time, but Money; or Time but No Money"  is holding true.

I paid a third of what your asking. For my  6-1/2" iron city that was in immaculate condition. This was late last year or early this year. Either way, not long ago & I'm not but an hour from you. Not trying to be critical either. If you can get your asking price, more power to ya. But you may have that vise a while. 

Mr. Fluer de lis; I have not quoted an asking price on a forum that does not allow that, I was just gathering information.

I know better than to try to sell on a forum that does not allow that, I am sorry you must be confused. People today read so fast that the content gets scrambled, no harm, no foul. Have a nice day all, and thank you for your valuable input!

2 hours ago, G George said:

I know better than to try to sell on a forum that does not allow that,

Don't go! You can buy and sell in the "Tailgating" section and you're reaching 150+ countries and some 50,000 members. 

Ask high, be willing to dicker or hold onto it a while. This is just the reality of selling if you're not a store front. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I am sorry Mr. Fleur de lis; I thought you meant I was pricing it here, yes I posted on craigslist, they are 1000.00 on Fleabay, figured someone might give half of that, it is a rare item, ie; not many seen or sold.

To the rest of you I am new here as in posting, I have lurked for quite some time, and learned a lot without posting.

I am not leaving, I do know about the tailgating forum, this is not it so I would not post it for sale here, I would there.

I would very much like to see someone buy any vise for 10.00 an inch!  My 4 inch from a BAM member cost me $150.00 & its been repaired.

With this Forged in Fire show even the fellow that filled my propane bottle said " I  am thinking of buying a gas forge and trying to make some knives, does not seem to be much to it" and I steered him toward an anvil site where he would not get ripped off.

My point is everyone seems to think just because some guys on TV can whip out some blades in 4 hours anyone can, Ha Ha

With so many replies sometimes I get confused, so to all my most sincere apologies!  G George

48 minutes ago, G George said:

My point is everyone seems to think just because some guys on TV can whip out some blades in 4 hours anyone can, Ha Ha

True words. Lots, maybe the majority of folk who don't work with their hands think buying a tool somehow imparts the knowledge to use it. I say it here often, Tools don't do a thing, it's the critter with a big brain and thumbs that does the work. 

What tools and equipment are worth has a large of location factor. There was a 4" leg vise on C-list and Ebay here for better than a year asking $1,500. He finally started lowering the price and it went for $1,000. Blacksmith anything goes for crazy money here. 

The size of your vise has a wow factor, folks who might bargain for a 6" leg vise might fall for a BIGGER :wub: is BETTER:rolleyes: vise. You see the same thing with folk looking for the heaviest anvil they can find. With the FIF bubble still growing I'd ask pretty high and be ready to talk. I'd sit on it for a while before I started lowering asking. I'm not in need though so I can be patient for money.

Nice vise, looks like a real bruiser.

No need to apologize, you're doing fine. Everybody takes a while to get used to playing with the gang.

Frosty The Lucky.

No worries mate. Lots & lots of info & opinions around here.  Fleabay is very very subjective price wise. 

If ya get down to Springfield, give me a shout. I'd be happy to hammer so metal with ya. 

And watch out for Frosty. That guys shifty....

My last vise was a Columbian in excellent condition and complete. 4.5" if I remember right - $40, and I probably could have gone lower and still got it. There was an 8" listed near me not too long ago for $80 that I should have called in to work that day and went to get it. Location plays a big part in pricing. I look at it this way, if I need a really big post vise I can make my own pretty inexpensively...

Big Gun , I think you are a very lucky person, Mr. fluer de lis I would love learning from you, PM me and we can get together. Mr. frosty, you are a true gentleman!

Thanks to all, from a newb.

You should see the anvil I have being shipped in! I can not wait.

G George