I Forge Iron

Where do I find tool steel like s7 or h13. Or 4140 in southern alberta?

Most of those steels are special order through Metals super markets and the prices are way above market value. I'm in central Alberta and I've been trying to track down h13 for about a year, I've called/visited 30 different steel suppliers who have it listed and so far it's cheaper to drive into the states and buy it there.

Where does the local Machine shop buy their steel from?   If you sweet talk them they might let you piggyback an order with one of theirs. When I buy new steel I usually go through a local windmill repair business; the bigger the order they have the more of a discount they get and so they sell steel on the side to make sure they qualify for the more favorable terms.

Metal Supermarkets is new to Calgary. Prices are high but I think that is due to convenience of being able to order whatever length you want.  There's lots of machine shops in Lethbridge that may let you piggyback a small order.  There's a few knife / axe makers your way too that can be found on the ole Facebook or contact Jeremy at Homestead Knives in Strathmore. I believe he is a "retired" machinist or millwright (I'm not sure). He seems to have a wealth of knowledge on finding stuff like that.  Good luck and please post your findings, I'm not far from you but far from needing tool steel yet.

• 8 months later...