I Forge Iron

Bloopers

How about a thread on mistakes popular culture makes when talking about blacksmithing?

Tuesday 2019-05-21 in a NPR  Morning Edition report on Jobs; Steve Horsley said: "forging molten metal into fixtures". You don't forge molten metal, you cast it and the person he was referring to even mentions working in the foundry.  (I sent in a correction.)

I rather liked the description in "The Burnished Blade" Lawrence Schoonover written in 1948.  

There was a modern story that was pretty good, I don't remember the title and leant the book to my apprentice.  Have to bug him for the title...

The common one I see is something to the effect of "the metal is brought to 3000 degrees (f) for forging" or similar ridiculous temperatures.  Heard 5000 f once on some show. (and they were talking about carbon steels).

I've done some forging IN the fire, literally. I rigged a torch so the flame horizontal was maybe 1/2" - 5/8"  above the anvil face. It worked alright but  when I learned how to do that process correctly I stopped needing heat right there.

Yeah, yeah, I know I didn't say what I was trying to do, I don't want new guys thinking it's a good way to do things. It works, makes intuitive sense but is completely unnecessary. So I list it as a BAD shortcut to knowledge and practice based skill.

Nah, I'm not afraid of the echoing laughter I'd deserve. If I didn't like making people laugh I wouldn't say so many silly things but it needs to have a gooder purpose than the above.

Frosty The Lucky.

Saw that and cringed.  Plus the fact that the "restoration" on the sword included aggressively grinding the bejeebers out of it and they claimed that made it worth about $ 5000.  The producers pushed reality well into fantasy land on that one.

Many of these mistakes are made by people that heard the words, think they are buzz words and will increase the number of viewers or interest in what they are doing.  Then the buzz words become used more and more because surely they can not be wrong as it was used on such and such.

I think it was a Pulwar (not sure) and they kept calling it an Afgan sword. I really think the sword they were working on was a cheap India or Pakistan reproduction that was left to rust away. I can't even wrap my head around grinding on an original by a supposed expert restorer.