I Forge Iron

another portable forge build begins

hammerkid

First off,Thanks Everyone, I hope to finsh it today after I get off here.

Hammerkid, your forge is looking good! However, if it was me building it (and it's not) I wouldn't attach the vise to the forge. If you should get rambunctious with twisting or hammering while using the vise, things could interesting very quickly.
I have a welded firepot in my coal/charcoal forge. IIRC it's 3/8 plate. Works quite well.

I`am not attaching the vise to it that was for the orignal idea of building it for a portable forge.

I am new here and green as grass. I thought the fire pot had to be cast iron for some reason. Yours looks like welded steel. How thick is the steel you used? I have been looking for a forge recently with no luck. Let me rephrase that "I'm CHEAP". I could make what you have there for a little bit of nothing.

I saw a video on one of these sites where a guy used a brake drum for the fire pot, actually it looked like a recessed rotor for disc brakes.

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

edit: spelling

No it can be mild steel. Their is a thread here that Is named something like Cast Vs mild steel firepot , which tells a lot of good info.

Nice work kid. However, I thought you were going to use a brake drum? I'm new here but you new pot looks better than a brake drum ever could.

Thats when i was planning to use it as a portable forge.
Chris

Hello all,
I am a new kid on the block and am gleaning what I can.

The forge looks great so far.
I am gathering material to build one as well. For my first one, I am going to build a brick forge for ease and price. It will be propane fueled. Hope to be shaping iron in a week or so.
I hope to next build a coal forge, but from what I've read and seen, gas is faster and easier to start off with. Of course there is just something about that coal smell and that fire burning that makes blacksmithing what it is.

God Bless

well ime not too sure how portable that forge but it looks great!! i have been useing portable forges for years . my current portable is wood with a 14 ga steel plate and firebox . it also has 2 wheels so a can wheel it into my trailer .total weight is about 40 lbs. 1/4 plate is a good size for a permanent forge! but the construction job you are doing is really nice! it should last many years. good job!!

The pictures in reply #15 show the underway forge. What is the angle of the slopes of the pot? They look very steep. Also what is the dimensions of the top edge and the depth? I hope you don't mine me picking your brain.

Paul

looking for a little info

Nice Forge hammerkid. Very well done. Looks like you got the welding/fab and the blacksmith skills to be a serious threat. :)

I wonder if you will raise the sides a little after you start using it. My sides almost make a little cubby for the forge.. but then again I build sorta big fires.. and low sides I think would make my neighbors (in this open area) a little too curious with the safety aspect. Plus i don't have to worry about a gust of high wind. But if you dont have any of those problems more power to yah.

9560.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Y`all,
I finshed all the of it today besides cutting & attaching the flex pipe to the blower to the firepot. I plan on doing this tommorow. I wanna try it out tommorow also. Pics are on the way.

Avadon, I will have it in my new shop. Also my neigbors wouldnt mind.
Chris