I Forge Iron

is the end fitting of my t burner getting to hot?

CheechWizard

• 2 months later...

sup guys havnt been on in a while. thought id give you an update. got the forge pretty well dialed in. replaced the wide/stout burner intake tubing with some stuff about as long as the burner and just wide enogh for the burner too fit. also changed the tip to a 3/4' coupling instead of 3/4 to 1' adapter.  been making almost everyday or atleast a couple hours in the evening when it cools down. its been in the 90's the past month it blows.  

also broke down and bought one of those chinese 66lbs anvils you see off ebay, 135usd shipping included.  i was trying to hold off till i could afford a little NC anvil and while their 70 pounder is only about twice as much i just wont have the money any time soon also why spend a decent some on something fairly light i figure my next one should be atleast 100 lbs+

nice little hand vise reproduction. im getting mine on monday 

sup Hoj, ive been scoping these for a while when they disapeared for a while. your post ultimately helped me make the purchase. i mean $135, how can you go wrong right? i hope they send me a black one altho i have a feeling im gonna be doing some grinding anyways

You're lucky, I must've bought the last few in stock in the States- my price was closer to $170.  For $135 those anvils are well worth it- at least for me and my area (scrapyard sells steel at $0.35 per pound, and the cost of time and effort to secure, cut, and mount an improvised anvil comes awful close to that cost).

Glad your forge is now better tuned, have you attempted to reach welding temperature yet?

On 5/16/2019 at 7:39 AM, Another FrankenBurner said:

I sure looks like the flame is riding deep inside the nozzle.  I don't have much experience with threaded fittings as nozzles.  You could try a 3/4 coupler to see if it still holds the flame.

I have seen many flame retention nozzles made by screwing on a reducer fitting; that is one of the best results I've witnessed. He won't do better by changing fittings.

And he isn't doing bad were his burner is at. Doing better would probably require a total rebuild. Keeping the present burner and building another design would be a better use of his time.

oh i forgot to mention that i did build a new burner using the same basic design but with some substantial differences. i wont get into the details but i will say im pretty content at this point.  cant wait till fall so i have more time out of the day to make noise gotta stay on good terms with the old ball and chain/neighbors~

9 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

How I loooong to leave Seattle!!!

The only problem is, the grass is still the same on the other side of the fence. Sometimes not greener, sometimes brown. Maybe brown doesn't need as much care with the mower LOL,

There is a reason it's called the 'Wet Coast'.

Glad you are still putting in your 2-bits. Knowledge is priceless!!

Neil

Not the airport, the cities and it's happening, present tense. Discussing what's happening would be a violation of forum rules.

I was born in Everett, I have friends and family all over the Pac. NW. many of them are jumping ship if they can swing it. Anchorage is following suit as well. 

That's all I'm saying.

Frosty The Lucky.

personally i love all the too obscure for school offensively politically correct stick and poke of an upside down cross face tattoo having ass... excuse me this isnt triggering any of you is it?  but hey look whos talking... after all how do you spot a gentrafier anyway? they're the ones that arived right after you did.   

on the lighter note.. the anvil came! fully clad in shrink wrap but lacking any signs of greasy wax paper.  im waiting for my buddy to bring over a pine round that batter suits my height so i rigged up one i had that was cut lopsided.  altho i did managed to dampen the ring a fair amount and theres no real noticeable movement 

68752019_1180558698804972_545801570642558976_n.jpg