I Forge Iron

Successful demo.

I had a great demo time yesterday. There were not very many people present, but I got about $200 worth of special orders. No direct sales though. I had a large stroke of good fortune that would have made it worth it if I hadn't sold anything. The first spectator that came up had a young boy with him. After a few minutes I let the boy turn my blower for me, I was making a dinner bell. The man then asked me if I would like another anvil, to which I replied that I might, and that I was looking for one in the 300 lb. range. He said it wasn't "quite" that big. I asked how much he wanted, and he asked how much I would give for it, I said I wouldn't give over $1.00 per lb. depending on the condition of the anvil. He said that we had a deal, and I could tell him how much it weighed. (I.E. 10 lbs.:D) Then he told me I could have the anvil if he could have the dinner bell. I said I would have to think about it for a while, and about 1/10,000th of a second later aked him when would be a good time to pick it up. We went and got it that evening. It wasn't quite as big as I had hoped, about 50 lbs., but the price was SOOOOOOO right! It is in perfect condition as well. Great porta peice!
I wasn't able to get any pictures because my family went to Bowling Green all day, but I do have a picture of the anvil. It also has a new top plate.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

6889.attach

6890.attach

Cast steel - solid steel - good - Most new top quality anvils made today are cast steel
Wrought iron with steel plate - good - tried and true method
Cast iron with steel plate - good - the quiet anvils
Solid cast iron - not to nice as it won't hold up for beans, subject to chipping and breaking as it tends to be brittle. Imported cheap anvils are generally cast iron and are called ASO (anvil shaped object)

take note of the slope under the heel, how straight it is compared to a normal anvil, no curve, telltale sign of a solid cast iron anvil to reenforce the heel so it doesn't break off as easy.

Originally sold by Sears and Sawbuck as cheap farm anvils by the thousands, when it was new probably cost $5 or less out of the catalogue.

Edited by irnsrgn

I agree sabre! The only problem is I like to have a ringing anvil at demo's, It's like being on a loud speaker. It gets people looking!
Another stroke of good fortune, I have a friend down in Ga., and last time I spoke to her, she said that she new someone who would give me an old anvil. The next time we go down thataway I'll be checking into that as well. Idealy it would be bigger so I could use it as a shop piece. Anyway I hope that pulls through as well.

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer